18. real ?

"Camilo ! Have you seen my jacket ?" You call out to your cousin, who was struggling staying still on one foot to put his shoe on.

"Yeah, you left it over on the couch- dang it." He answers before losing his balance. Luckily, Mirabel happens to pass by and catches him before he hits the floor.

"Careful, primo. Not the time to break anything."

"Are you guys ready ?" Dolores enters the living room, coat and shoes already on. "Isabela says we'll miss it if we don't hurry."

"I'm all good." You answer, putting your jacket on. "Camilo's definitely not, but he's trying his best."

You all look as Camilo sits on the floor in defeat and slowly and delicately slips his foot into his shoe.

"He did it !" Mirabel silently cheers.

"Good job." Dolores murmurs with a proud smile.

"Slay, king." You add, earning some questioning glares that you skillfully ignore. You leave the room to find the rest of your sisters in the courtyard, before the door. The moonlight gave a somewhat eerie atmosphere to the scene.

"We're never gonna be there on time." Isabela shakes her head, rolling her eyes when she sees you walking up to them. You still hadn't really talked to each other in the last three months. It was starting to hurt both of you, but you were too stubborn to reach out to her first. Plus, the fact you started talking back to Angela at school -Dolores told her- only made her feel bad that she couldn't bring herself to do anything for Mariano to stop looking at her with lovesick eyes.

"Don't ya worry." Luisa gave her a little nudge, which would have sent her crashing into the wall if Isabela wasn't used to it and anticipated the impact. "We're still early, we'll be on time."

"Yeah." You say to Luisa, only giving Isabela a quick glance. "There's still a good half hour before it starts."

Alberto, one of the village's elders, had predicted a meteor shower at 2AM on that very night. He was passionate about astronomy, and by some miracle was always right about those things, even though most people still didn't believe him and called his predictions lucky strikes.

Camilo and Mirabel had begged your parents to allow you to go watch it from the donkeys' patio, where you could see the sky clearly, and they only agreed if Isabela, Dolores or Luisa came along. Of course they all said yes, it was an exciting excursion.

Antonio wasn't allowed to stay up that late, though, and so Carlos volunteered to let his little brother sleep with him in his room to comfort him, thus going to bed at the same time as Antonio. An outstanding act of solidarity. Truth was, Carlos just didn't feel like going and took this opportunity to get a full night of sleep.

The rest of you occupied yourselves by playing card games. It was hard getting Camilo and Mirabel to stay quiet as they battled over Kemp's rules, but worth it. You had a good time. Except when you were teamed up with Isabela, in which case none of you would look at each other and never won any game.

Now was time to go, and not only was Isabela worried about the timing, but you started to notice clouds forming above your heads. They weren't too thick, but it definitely hid the stars.

You wondered if it was natural or whether Pepa was having a nightmare. Her gift sometimes acted up in her sleep as well. One time, Félix woke her up to the beginning of a hurricane.

"We're here." Mirabel and the others finally join your group, and you start heading towards the donkey's patio.

As you walk among the town's streets, you can't help but think about the 'dreams' you kept having. The ones about your life being a complete illusion.