27. the tower

"I wonder what we're gonna find." Mirabel says as you both walk home from the donkeys' patio, hand in hand.

"I wonder if we'll find anything at all." You sigh, dragging your feet. "Have you ever been inside Bruno's tower?"

She looks at you, raising an inquisitive eyebrow. "No, wh-"

"(Y/n)!" A voice cuts you off, and you turn to see Leta running up to you with a grin. "Hi, what's up? How did it go with your grandmother?"

"Hola." Mirabel perks up over your shoulder to make herself acknowledged. Leta freezes for a second, wondering whether she just had let too many words slip out. She smiles nervously.

"Oh, hi! H-how are you doing, Mirabel?"

You laugh at her distressed expression. "It's okay, Leta. Mirabel can know about Abuela." You turn to your sister. "Yesterday, Abuela asked me to-"

"Oh, I know." Mirabel states bluntly.

You keep your mouth open, first in indignation of getting interrupted, then in confusion. You exchange a surprised look with Leta. "What?"

Your sister shrugs, as if that was no big deal. "I heard you by the window. I was on the roof, bec-"

"You were on the roof?!" You exclaim, both puzzled and angry at her for being so careless.

"Hey, it's fine! Casita wouldn't let anything happen to me. Helped me climb u-"

"The same Casita that you saw covered in cracks, that is only alive because of the magic that you think is dying at this very moment?"

She pauses, considering your point. "...Yes. Well, maybe I shouldn't have then. Sorry?"

"Just don't do it again." You rub your face tiredly, wondering how you were supposed to go through the day.

"Promise! Now we should go save the magic, let's goooo!" She drags her word, and you, towards your poor house, and you motion Leta to follow behind.

"It went alright with Abuela. She apologized, and, well, asked me a favor, and I said no- anyway, we're investigating to discover what's wrong about the magic."

"Alright." Leta shrugs. "Where are we going?"

"To Bruno's tower, we think he- you good?"

Her face had suddenly turned extremely pale, and she had slowed down hesitantly. Her eyes roamed around the street uneasily, and you had to snap your finger in her face to get her back to reality.

"Leta?"

She flinches, letting out a small exclamation. "Sorry. I- you know, it's always weird for me to think your uncle wasn't some kind of terrifying, lanky wizard as my aunt describes him. I've been raised with her obsession for that dead fish and your uncle's supposed involvement in that story. I know it's not true, of cours-"

"Okay, got it. No worries. You still want to come along? Entering his tower's forbidden but at least he won't be here to scare you." You wave your arms around vaguely to imitate some kind of lurking creature. "He's long gone now."

"But there might be a few spiders." Mirabel teasingly crawls her hand up Leta's shoulder, making her shudder.

"I can deal with spiders." She smiles, and grabs your arm while Mirabel intertwines hers with the other. The three of you resume confidently walking towards Casita.

"Where's Luca anyway?" You suddenly remember the existence of your other friend, who seemed to be very eager to help you save the magic before you disappeared last night.