Chapter four. Expected. 04

-Glen-

The blast of air shakes the Humvee for a second. It surprises everyone equally much though we don't show it.

I knew this woman has a target on her back, but I didn't think it would escalate this quickly.

'Matthew stop the car.' Her voice comes out so soft I doubt Matthew can hear. Her eyes are glued onto the explosion.

'Stop the damn car!' She growl. And to my surprise he does. Why? She jumps out before the vehicle stands completely still.

Kenta reacts first by getting out as well. 'Harris please-' the door falls shut so I get out as well.

She stands in place, small hands balled into fists at her side as her eyebrows are knitted, looking upset. She's tense and it looks like her head is running a hundred miles an hour.

'Come on lass, let's get back in.'
She doesn't even seem to hear my words. Her eyes locked onto the smoke in horror.

'That was supposed to-' her jaw clenched as she chokes on the words 'they knew I was here today. If... if I was then-' she stops her words, not wanting to voice her thoughts.

I hear a door close as Matthew gets out. She whispers something and closes her eyes, a shiver running through her.

Matthew stops next to her. 'Open your eyes and look. That was meant for you. If I didn't stop you then we'd all be blown to bits right about now. I told you you're on a hit list.'

So he stopped to show her what her reality has become now.

Her eyes open, but they seem glassed over, her face turning grim. 'All those people-' her voice is small and I feel bad for her. This wasn't her intention at all.

I lay my hand on the small of her back and guide her to the car, her eyes sticking to the village as long as they can before lowering to the ground.

She climbs in and I close the door behind her. 'Go easier on her man, she doesn't really get it yet.' Matthew heads into the humvee leaving me with Kenta.

'He's right though. I hate to admit it but now she's seen what their intentions are.' I say as we both head for our seat 'he's harsh in it though.'

I climb in to see her staring at her hands. 'I only try to help.' She says softly. 'I explained it to you before.' Matt answers. 'People are getting hurt because I try to help them. It's my fault they put a bomb in that poor village.'

She looks on the verge of tears.

Matthew's shoulders ease and he sighs 'you couldn't have known. But please tell me you'll listen to us now. We're honestly trying to keep you safe princess.'

She shivers 'don't call me that.' Says snaps to him 'makes me want to throw up.' She mumbles.