Chapter ten. Memories. 10

-Matt-

'So we're ignoring the attempt at either kidnap or execution?' She gives me a glare. 'Who's execution? Mine or yours?' I give her a cold look back as she's half behind Glen. She waves her hand, ignoring me 'I'm going to do my job. Just- don't intervene and keep you gun out of sight.'

She starts on her way to the line of waiting people, her hands shake as she reaches for her equipment. 'Shit.' Guild creeps up my chest. I watch her work. Slim little hands handling her equipment like she's done it for years. She gives smiles that, despite her best efforts, doesn't reach her eyes. She rubs a certain spot on her chest every once in a while.

The later it gets, the warmer, and she refuses to take a break in the shade and drink or eat something.

When her hands start to shake so visibly everyone's eyes look her over, I start to tense and Kenta notices. 'What is it?' I nod to her 'she needs a break, do you know how vulnerable she is there, especially like this.' My eyes move to Glen who stands a couple of yards away in the shade, as good as out of sight as his eyes scan the area. ' just stay focused and do your job until she's done doing hers.'

The group of people surrounding her gets bigger, the line that was formed first clustering together into a group. I stand straighter and take a step as Kenta gives me a pointed look. With this amount of people around there's no way to get them back in line, and it's hard to keep an good eye on any danger. I step closer, feeling like that will at least help a little in case of danger. She's bandaging up a kid, arms weak and shaky as she does so. 'Take a break, Harris. You're going to faint if you go the entire day without any water or food.'

She ignores me and gives the little boy a fake smile before patting his head. She's unable to communicate with them because of the language, but the boy gives her a bright eyed smile.

After the stress she's been though today, she must be tiring out by now.

A man steps forward, dressed black. 'Hello. What can I do?' She greets as the man takes another step closer, so I take one as well. He doesn't even look at me as he gives her a crooked smile. 'How can I help?' She repeats. The man reaches behind him with a laugh.

The glinstering of metal in the sun instantly tenses my body and I see Kentas terrified eyes in front of me again. The damp cave. The smell. 'Your friend don't need to get hurt. Just tell us all you know.' Glens begging eyes. I can't tell them. I can't, I can't I can't.

'Snap out of it!' Kentas yell pulls me back a little, but I can't blink the memory away. God I can't-

A warm hand intertwines with mine, and I shake the thoughts. Amelia's blue eyes look desperate as she clasps my hand. When sound finally sets in again, the loud voices and screams of the crowd drum though my ears. 'We need to go.' She says as she squeezes my hand tighter. When I hear a vehicle approach I hold her hand as Well, pulling her closer to my chest to be a shield for anything that can hurt her. 'Kenta! Glen!' My eyes land on Glen as he hold his pistol pointed somewhere, so my eyes trace the chaotic crowd to find Kenta. When I spot him he's on his knees trying to help a woman back up, behind him, the vehicle I hear approaching fast. I want to take a step, but I'm suddenly hyper aware of Amelia's small hand in mine.

When I look down her eyes are on Kenta too, and they widen when they spot the red pick up. Her head slips away in an instant as she bolts for him. He's about to stand upright when she runs straight into him, knocking him over and dodging the car. My eyes go back to Glen, and I run over. 'We have to go.' I say as I grab his arm to pull in into the direction Kenta and Amelia are.

When shots fire my heart drops and my feet move faster. It's an automatic machine gun. I fall backwards as Glen yanks my shirt, in time as dust springs off of the walls from impact. My eyes are in frantic search of the woman I'm supposed to protect. They land on her, she's pulled into Kentas chest as they're laying on the ground. 'They need to get out of there.' I get back up but Glen pulls me back again. 'Look around you. How will you make it to them? We need to go around, trust that Kenta will keep both of them safe.'

I nod and we move further into the ally. We move through street after street before we make it to the other side of the open area. They're gone. There are a lot of people laying dead on the ground, but Kenta and Amelia are gone. Glens head snaps to me 'I don't see them.' I shake my head 'me neither. If they got out Kenta would have brought her to the humvee by now.' Glen has an anxious look in his eyes but gives a firm nod 'lets go.'