Chapter eleven. Fugure it out. 11

-Kenta-

I open the door and help her inside, closing it as soon as she's in. I climb behind the wheel and start the vehicle. 'Will Matthew and Glen know we're here?' I look behind me as Amelia trembles, clothes and face covered in dust that sticks to her skin because of sweat. 'They'll figure it out, yeah.' My shoulder feels sore as I reach of a knob. She saved my life. She turns in her seat, looking out the window while fidgeting with her fingers. 'You sure they'll know?' I reach over to turn her back 'just take a proper seat. They'll be here.'

The low humming of the engine sets in as she gets back into her seat. She's starting to look paler by the second. 'How are you feeling? Are you hurt anywhere?' She shakes her head as she watches her hand tremble. 'No. You?' I give her a small smile 'I'm alright.'

Her hand moves up to her forehead as she closes her eyes. Her the side of her hand and fingers are scratched up. 'Amelia?' She hums 'm'okay.' I narrow my eyes as color drains from her face 'sweetheart look at me please.' She opens her eyes and they settle on mine 'that's better, how are you feeling?' She takes a deep breath 'dizzy.'

The doors open and I'm about to grab my pistol when it's Matt that's sprawled into the passenger seat 'drive.' I start on my way 'Glen?' There's a kick against my seat 'fine, fine I'm here.' Matt shifts in his seat so he's actually sitting 'You two okay?' He turns to look behind him and shoots out of his seat again, causing me to receive a knee to my chest. 'Hey watch it.'

'Amelia? Hey, princess answer me.' It takes a second for him to completely disappear into the back. 'She okay?' Glen climbs to the front seat 'she's passed out.' There's shifting behind me before everything quiets 'I told her she should at least drink something.' Matt snaps.

A metallic cling sounds through the humvee. 'They're onto us.' Glen says as he looks out his window. 'Can I shake them?' Glen grabs the map 'yeah got it.' His finger traces the small streets until he finds something. 'Matt hold on to Amelia if she's passed out.'

-Matt-

I'm holding onto the back of my seat as I try to hold Amelia against me with my other arm. She was calmly passed out before, but she's starting to make little noises as she flinches every now and again. 'We lost them.' Her small body tenses on mine her hand taking tighter hold on my own. 'Is she having a nightmare?' Glen looks over his shoulder, eyes focused on her face. 'Looks like it.'

She flinches again, and I try to hold her even closer, wanting it to stop. 'How long still?' Kenta doesn't hear, eyes focused ahead.

When we do arrive I take her shivering body, walking her down to our barak. 'Ey what's wrong with her? What did you do to her?' One guy I faintly remember from her platoon walks up angry. 'Glen.' He turns to me and I hand her to him. He holds her close to himself, one hand supporting her back as the other hooks under her legs. She huffs, still slightly shaking.

I turn to the guy 'what is it to you.' I take a step closer to him as he walks my way, nearly making him bump into me. 'I knew you three were sketchy. What did you do to her?' He tries to be angry, but when I fold my arms across my chest and stare him down he shuts up a little.

'We ran into some trouble, she's dehydrated and may have sunstroke. We got her though.' Kenta explains calmly. 'What the hell. Aren't you guys supposed to protect her? How hard is it to get her to drink.' A pang of guilt hits me as Kenta steps forward, my eyes landing of the top of a scar on the back of his neck.

Kenta handles the guy as me and Glen go inside. I open the door and turn to let Glen in, but my eyes land on a single teardrop rolling down her cheek. He lays her down on his own bunk so we can keep an eye on her. 'I'll go grab some food and water.' I nod and watch Glen walk out.

She mumbles something before flinching and another tear escapes her closed eye. 'Aiden....' the name gets spoken so softly I can barely hear, but I hear her. It only takes a few seconds after for her to jolt awake in a panic. I look behind me but Kenta's still not here. 'Amelia calm down. You're okay.' She sits up but groans before grabbing her head. 'You're okay.' She hicks, wiping her eyes as more tears fall. I reach out but she reacts so fast to it that she accidentally slaps my hand. The skin tingles as I look at her.

'What's going on?' She glares up at me, emotion pooling behind her big blue eyes. 'It's non of your business.' I sit down on the bunk next to her 'it is if it includes your safety.' She rubs her chest 'I don't know a thing about you so I'm not telling you anything about me.'

I look at her, her hands trembling as they loose the battle of drying her tears while she cries. 'God why fucking now?' Her curse goes through the room without response as I sit next to her in silence. 'I'm sorry.' Her hands fall from her face as she turns to look at me. 'What?' She snaps. 'I'm sorry for what happened.' She scoffs 'oh you mean for shooting those people, and then nearly getting me to shoot you? It's messed up to force someone to point a gun at your heart.' I sigh and hold her gaze 'I trusted you not to shoot.' She lets out a laugh 'wow. One slip of my finger and that trust would have been blown to bits along with the rest of you.'

She rubs her chest again so I snatch her hand before she can 'can you stop doing that? You'll get bruised.' She pulls her hand free 'already am.' I narrow my eyes 'what hurts you so bad?' Her eyes drop to the floor 'my chest.' I shift forward so I'm closer to her 'you're injured? Let me see, maybe you need to see the doctor.' She shakes me off 'I know Kenta has scars, same as Glen. I also know you're scarred to.' I lean back 'i'm not.' She gives me a skeptical look 'no? I wasn't talking about physical scarring.'

My heart beats against my chest 'pain notices pain.' She says before rubbing her eyes. I open my mouth to say something but Kenta steps in 'You're awake?' She gives him a nod, eyes still locked on mine 'I'm not injured Matthew.' My chest aches at the realization and my hand goes up to my chest. Her attention moves to Kenta as he sits down next to her. My eyes go to the hand that went to my chest. Heart ache. Emotional pain aches in her chest.