-Six

School was kinda getting fun. I was starting to make friends, something I never thought would ever happen.

At first I was just used to having just Esther around me, then James, Andrew and Stephen started coming around. Esther didn't like having them around coz she wanted our circle to be small, just me and her.

From the first time mom saw her at the parking lot, mom always wanted to have her in our house for dinner. I didn't want too,it was more than enough just having her at a classroom friend and especially a classmate. I've never had anyone home joining myself and family for dinner,and yeah, just the thought of that felt awkward enough. The thoughts of that never gave me goosebumps but rather unease, uncertainty in an unusual way.

Mom was like;

"Ehmm,Nimi?" She wasn't really sure how to start the conversation. It was a Saturday and we were having lunch then.
"Yeah yeah."
"The other day I saw something magical." She said smiling to herself.
"Magical? I thought you didn't believe in magic?" I said but with my attention stuck to my plate.
"Not magic as in magic dear, just magic as in wonderful!" She said laughing.
" Ah okay?"
"So what about it?" I stop eating to ponder at this point.
"Hope you wouldn't mind inviting your friend over for dinner one of these days?" She spills the jackpot.
"Ehmm!" I stop eating,it was though I had lost my appetite.
"Friend? Dinner?" Wasn't sure what to say.
"I wouldn't get my hopes high and say we are actually friends. Maybe it's just a classroom classmate thing we are having right now." Wasn't sure what mom was thinking to make her make such a demand.
"And I'm sure she's a really busy person,studies and school stuff,she won't be having time for all that." I said.

Mom dropped the issue that day but knowing my mom, the issue may have been dropped but not the intention. Sooner or later,I knew it will be a topic raised another day.

***

I kinda understand mom's reason for wanting to have Esther over for dinner. Getting to know your kid's friends,how fun that would be for them but maybe not for me. My parents can be weirdos sometimes but not as weird as James and his gang though. Just weird as parental level of weird.

School was stressful and we were given this homework that seemed endlessly difficult. Esther wanted to come over so we could both brainstorm the homework together; honestly,I didn't want her to kinda like come over.

She insisted and I gave into her plea. I knew mom's prayers were at work here,she must have cried out a million times for an opportunity such as this.

Mom was excited to hear Esther was coming over,an actual friend of her daughter was coming over,how exciting? Awful. Mom was kinda hyped and I understand her reasons but maybe over hyped and that I couldn't understand.

Ever since the accident and me not being able to walk,I kinda shut the doors on everything and embraced self isolation and anxiety. Maybe her seeing me break those walls was what excited her this much. Finally accepting reality and the fact that my condition wasn't the end but a starting point to perhaps something beautiful was what excited her(well that's what I kinda think she's feeling,it's the only explanation to her hyped excitement).

"Mom, I'll be having a friend coming over,if that's fine with you?" Me telling mom if Esther could come over. She was honestly pretty busy.
"Ehmm,is this friend the fat girl from the other day?" She asks giving a description of Esther.
"First, she's not fat but chubby and second, yeah!" I think fat sounds like an over statement for anyone, despite their body stature. But maybe she kinda,ehmm,a little bit fat, it's not like I'm agreeing with that though.
"Well, okay."
"There's no need to prepare lunch coz I'm sure she'd probably have that before coming over and also they'll be no need of dinner coz she's either going to turn down the offer,she might not be staying long either." I'm not being too demanding,or am I?
Mom's like handling the dishes,she dries her hands with a towel, squats a bit to my level holds both my cheeks,
"You're feeling I'd be too awkward around her, right?" She's on point.
"Well, maybe."
"Your uncertainty proves it." She offers a cute mummies smile.
"Just try not to be too sweet. That's all I ask." I protest.
"Well, okay?"
"But for now,my all demanding young lady, please allow me too wash the dishes?" She goes back to doing what she was doing earlier before I interrupted her.
"One more thing, it's not a sleep over, just an assignment stuff." Just when I was about leaving,I stop too tell her this.
"Hahaha... just go Nimi."

ಠωಠ

As expected, Esther came over and well,mom was acting all awkward. Dad Steve wasn't home and well as for Marcus aside from the normal greeting he gave her at the door,not much awkwardness came from him.

"So?" Me not knowing what to say now.
"Would you like me to get you something to drink?" I asked,felt awkward or was it just me. I haven't entertained some one,a friend,in a long while.
"Yeah, maybe just water,for now." I head to the kitchen to get her chilled water from the refrigerator.

Mom's already there and seemed like she was the one going to get the water for her.
A situation of an over panicking mother.
"Ehmmm,I kinda think I should be the one doing that for my visitor." I voice my concern as I take the bottle water from her.
"Sorry dear,I kinda..."
"Freaking out!" I complete her statement for her.
"Stop all the awkwardness,be cool,it's just a regular person in our house,not some kinda gold clothed person." I was beginning to stay longer than expected at the kitchen, could tell she was beginning to feel awkward back there; sitting all alone by herself.

She had her water and soon enough we began brainstorming our homework. I could tell mom was watching us from afar off despite the fact that I couldn't see her.

Mom,well, wouldn't want to say much about how awkward she was, first time, first time thing I guess.

A/N

{Ever heard of writer's blocks? Had lot of those in this chapter, that's why the chapter feels a bit off but I honestly promise to do better in the next chapters to come.}

@BeeLovesHerCockroach
Read her work she's also a great writer.