Nov 28

A/N: Do you guys remember the green scarf? Because I remember it all too well :)

Again, this chapter has no business being this long lmao.

-

You have a new message from Alex :D.

"Sorry freddie I might be a bit late today :("

Sent: 7:05am

Received: 7:05am

-

You have a new message from Freddie.

"Oh sure no problem"

Sent: 7:05am

Received: 7:09am

-

It was an especially cold morning today, and it was probably because it rained last night. Fred stood at his usual meeting spot and waited for Alex to show up. The wind blew past Fred's cheeks and he rubbed his hands to keep them warm. Conner was walking with Bree that morning so it was just Fred and Alex. It wasn't like Alex to be late so he hoped she was alright.

Fred trained his eyes on the colourful leaves swirling in the autumn wind. Red, brown, and the faintest tinge of yellow... Fred liked those colours because they reminded him of Alex's hair colour. And autumn suited her.

"Morning!"

Alex was rushing towards him, wind blowing up tendrils of her hair. Her cheeks were turning red (presumably from running) and her wide blue eyes seemed especially lively today. Her green scarf— Fred's green scarf was snugly wrapped around her neck, contrasting the red plaid jacket she was wearing. Alex was smiling and Fred couldn't help but smile back.

"Morning! Are you sure you're gonna be warm?" Fred asked, poking the thin layer of Alex's jacket.

Alex laughed. She looked so much happier these days and Fred's heart warmed. "Thanks for your concern but I'm all good!"

They took their familiar route to school while avoiding the puddles. Fred gestured to piles of autumn leaves on the pavement. "Remember when we used to jump in leaf piles as kids?"

Alex gave a fond exhale and rubbed her forehead. "Of course I remember. Conner was making such a fool out of himself. He was a lovable idiot in the past."

"I mean, he's still kind of an idiot now," Fred quipped. "A lovable idiot," he hurriedly added before Alex could glare at him.

They continued to walk at a leisurely pace. Alex was quietly humming to herself like she was lost in her own world. Ever since she came home from that trip to Scotland, she was just... exuding genuine happiness, and Fred's facial expression softened when he gazed at her. He'd always kept his feelings under lock and key (or at least he tried to) because he treasured his friendship with Alex above everything else. She was probably scared of romance after Rook and of course Fred wouldn't add to her burden.

"Watch out!"

A car honked and Alex yanked Fred out of the way. He stared at her, stupefied. He'd almost crossed the road when the traffic lights were still red because he was looking over at her.