Sep 28

"Morning Alex!"

"Oh, hey Bree."

Bree walked up to Alex. "What's so interesting about the notice board?"

"Oh, umm..." Alex was suddenly flustered that Bree had caught her staring. She wordlessly gestured at the board as if it could explain everything.

"Ahh, I see." Bree's shrewd brown eyes scanned the notices. "Well, this does seem interesting..."

-

It was a free period, which meant the class should be studying, except who really did that? None of them were allowed to speak but obviously teenagers had their other methods of communication. Notes were secretly passed and someone was tapping their pen in a desperate attempt at Morse code. Danielle tuned them all out and blankly stared at her textbook. She wasn't in the mood for studying, but oh well, she didn't have much else to do. Considering it was the first period of the day, she could probably sleep for a bit.

And then she felt an intense glare.

Danielle glanced to the side. Eugene was sitting on the opposite end of the classroom and giving her a significant look. Danielle reached for her phone inside her drawer.

-

You have a new message from Eugene Lee [School].

"yo"

Sent: 9:00am

Received: 9:05am

-

September 28. 9:05am.

Danielle: yo

Danielle: didnt see u b4 school

Eugene is typing...

Eugene: yeah bball team meeting

Eugene: Also known as: me trying not to feel short for 15 mins

Danielle: ha

-

There was a noise up front. Both Danielle and Eugene instantly looked up in unison like a pair of startled birds, scared of being caught. Fortunately, it was just someone's chair that had creaked too loudly. They returned to their phones.

-

Eugene: So anyways

Eugene: I'm not joining the annual production this year

-

Danielle stared at her phone. Her fingers didn't move.

What?

It felt like someone had yanked the rug from underneath her feet. It felt like her favourite comfort blanket had been stolen from her.

In her haste, she glanced at Eugene's direction, but he was still staring at his phone.

-

Eugene: I'm sorry

Danielle: oh

Eugene: I want to but