Sep 16

September 16. 7:02am.

Fred: hello friends n family

Fred: I am unfortunately sick today and will not be going to school

Alex (me): Awww

Alex (me): Get well soon Freddie!

Conner: nooooo

Conner: gws!

Alex (me): Btw why did you say "friends and family"

Conner: bc freddie and I are best bros :)

Alex (me): does that mean I'm his sister

Conner: yes

Fred: No

Conner: just kidding its no

Alex (me): Haha

-

Alex stifled a yawn. She ran through her to-do lists in her mind. Check out that trip to Europe, ask her math teacher about that question she couldn't solve, maybe borrow a few more books from the library. Conner was busy rambling about community gardens and the failures of late-stage capitalism on the way to school (it was definitely Bree's influence). It was cute to see Bree's effect on her idiot brother.

"By the way, Alex," Conner called out.

"Mmhmm?"

"Bree and I are going to the writing club meeting during break, so we won't be having lunch with you."

Writing. Conner and Bree, as two fellow writers, were even more enthusiastic about their craft now that they started dating. When they hung out together, Alex listened to them excitedly talk about "Chekhov's gun" and "unreliable narrators". Alex was glad that her brother found someone who shared his passions.

Wait. Did Conner just say something?

"Okay," Alex replied before she'd fully processed the implications of Conner's words.

Alex usually ate with Conner, and by extension Bree, and by extension Fred. Fred and Conner had their own existing friend group and they alternated between eating with said friends and Alex. Bree used to have a friend group, but reportedly they had been mean to Danielle, so Bree and Danielle ditched them. Conner and Bree were dating, so Alex's lunch table consisted of her brother, her brother and her childhood friend's friends, her brother's girlfriend, and her brother's girlfriend's friend.

Networking was annoying.

Fred was Alex's link to his side of the lunch table, and Conner and Bree were Alex's link to their side. Now that all three of them were gone, where would she sit?

Alex knew she was somewhat popular now, but while people liked her, it didn't mean she wanted to get close with the people who liked her. (Some of them even used to make fun of her. Alex knew people could mature and grow up, but still their previous actions left a bad taste in her mouth.)

Oh, well. Alex had other things to worry about, like that essay she would be getting back today (if, and only if the teacher was on schedule.) She would cross the bridge when she got to it.

-

It turned out Alex did not, in fact, cross the bridge when she got to it.

She knew many people would accept her into their friend group, but Alex didn't want to disturb anyone's existing friend group. So Alex carefully walked around the outskirts of the cafeteria, half-considering the option of hiding away in a quiet corner to eat alone. But that was just a bit pathetic, wasn't it?