114

“I hate the Chloe who incessantly picked a quarrel with Momo and severely harassed her!

I hate Chloe who made my brother suffer through all those years!

I hate Chloe who ridiculed Sir Sei’s, forbidden love.

I hate Chloe who wished for the country’s ruin after being thrown away by his highness!|

I hate Chloe who treated Shin as her plaything! I hate her! I loathe her so much!!

That’s why it was so exhilarating to beat her as the game’s last boss. I thought that she got what she deserved.

Hey, I did great, didn’t I? I didn’t even asked to be reincarnated into such garbage of a person, but because I would be on a crash-course towards becoming a witch, I had no other choice but to take over. The vain and selfish Chloe who bullied Momo is no longer here! After all, I am a completely different person from her!

—I needed to think that way, else I would’ve gone crazy. Even though I knew that I can never escape from the truth that I am Chloe, that I’ve made everyone suffer.

…What should I have done? Never loved by anyone else, but hated by everyone all the same. Maybe if I recalled my memories much earlier— wouldn’t things have gone better if I didn’t exist in the first place? I don’t know. I don’t know how I could ever forgive myself.”

Those were the innermost feelings of Chloe that she never even showed in the mirror’s projection. The darkness within the lady who obediently accepted the judgment and banishment, something she hid behind her cheerful appearance. However, her words pushed Leddorio within his thoughts. Momo should have completely taken over her previous self upon recovering her past life memories. Chloe should’ve been the same and yet, her self-cognition seems to have split as though the two personalities mixed.

“Chloe, you already suffered enough. There’s no need to hurt yourself any more than this.”

“I knew you’d say that. Locke is kind after all…, but I’m not so kind to remain silent after seeing those who are precious to me suffer.”

“I’m just the same. It’s exactly because such a person is crying and suffering in front of me that I can’t leave her alone.”

Locke’s words overlapped with the sound of sniffling. Chloe is crying. She has been cursing herself, hurting herself in the process.

“Huh? But… isn’t Momo your precious person?”

“Of course, she is precious. But she’s not the only one I want to be happy. You deserve happiness just as her.”

Chloe’s weeping stopped. Although she is still sobbing at times, Leddorio could tell that the lady is probing Locke’s responses. This is the same kind of exchange he observed while ridding above the sacred bird; the sound of Locke patting Chloe’s head.

“Look, Chloe. There’s no infallible person in this world. So stop thinking that your life is over just for making a mistake or two. From what I can tell, you’re a good person… so stop worrying about such things. Don’t give up on your happiness.”

“Sniffle, what is my happiness?”

“Well… that’s something for you to figure out.”

Locke’s response was so blunt that it made Chloe chuckle.

“…But well, if you ever find the path that would lead you towards one, I’ll help you then. If there’s anyone who still dare to insist that you’re a villainess, I won’t show them any mercy no matter who they are.”

‘Fufu… Thank you. Locke is really a kind person. Would it really be fine for a villainess like me to be happy?’

Chloe’s happiness; the whispers of the lady in a self-deprecating tone have spurred Leddorio into thinking about the one thing he wanted to avoid the most. If it’s a woman’s happiness, marriage always comes to mind. However, not only was the lady’s engagement with the prince broken, she was banished too. A defective article like her by noble’s standards will not receive any marriage proposals, but only among the aristocrats.

The recent month has made the lady get used to the commoner’s way of life. Although her past memories have played in that part, considering how bold she can walk about in such a filthy lodging, Leddorio thought that she’ll likely adapt in any circumstances.

But the man currently sitting beside her smile brimming with life was—

‘Since you called yourself one yourself, you must be fully prepared, right?’

‘Huh? Does that include me too? Huh? Wait, so suddenly… kyahahaha, that tickles! Noo, don’t lick me there…’

(——Huh!?)

Chloe’s groans overlapping with the sound of slurping had thrown all the prince’s thoughts away. Leddorio promptly extended his hands towards Shin right next to him, as if it was the most natural thing in the world.

‘Sword.’

‘Highness, that just now was…’

‘Hand over your sword.’

The calm side of his brain knows how strange his conjectures are. But at that moment, everything just went blank to him. Although he was sure he heard someone warning him about being scolded by someone, Leddorio poured his mana towards his sword and brandished it towards the door,

A loud crashing sound.

‘Whoah, what the!?’

‘T-That startled me.’

At the other side of the door were Chloe and Locke sitting at two chairs as Momo slept in her bed interposed between them. There was Chloe, her eyelids inflamed, with a red puppy in her arms, licking her face incessantly.