147 : Dark Sereknight's Ending

Dark and Shiela sat on a bench in the courtyard. At first glance, the two looked to be quite intimate with one another, but upon a closer inspection, Darck was seemingly hanging his head low and holding his stomach.

‘Sir Darck, are you unwell? You look quite poorly If I may say so. If you like I could prepare you a herbal drink, sir. I was recently made aware by Sir Sei about the effectiveness of boiled herbs from Palette Village.’

‘…No, I’m alright.’

Darck feebly shakes his head. Mentioning Sei, whom he could never get along with, or anything related to Momo, his past romance, was likely a taboo topic for him.

It was decided that after his marriage with Shiela, the young lord will be adopted by House Whitey, and that their firstborn son would be adopted by House Sereknight instead. Additionally, he was to assist the new minister that would replace the Duke upon his retirement; In other words, the young lord currently has no career path.

‘Is there anything bothering you, sir? If so, please do share it with your family and not keep it within yourself. Didn’t his majesty say so as well? Of course, I shall offer my assistance as your fiancée too.’

‘It’s not so much of a bother but… I was just, wondering if I deserve to be let off like this.’

The young lord seems to be suffering from stomach problems due to stress.

The environment that revolves around him had largely changed. Most especially his reputation could be said to have been overturned. Up until now, he has been pitied by his surrounding concerning his discord with his younger sister, and the well-rounded appearance of his fiancée. But with the conclusion of his younger sister’s atonement, as well as the revelation of his fiancée’s unexpectedly agreeable features, the young lord was now being judged by the rumors based on the rampage he caused on his own engagement annulment debacle.

While the incident practically deposed him from the duchy’s inheritance, his ill repute was born from a different sentiment. Society questioned how could a man like him fall for the wiles of a mere plebeian when surrounded with beautiful ladies, the likes of his younger sister and his fiancée. They concluded that perhaps it was his lowborn blood at play; quite the self-convenient reasoning they came up with.

‘It’s not just about my mother; there is also the sins of my father that have not been made public yet. How could a man like me be worthy of you.’

‘It was the royal family and not the two houses who arranged this betrothal, sir. Do please, ignore their ramblings.’

‘That’s what I’m saying… For an agreement of such importance, I…urgh’

‘Sir Darck? What are you hiding?’

Shiela rose him to his feet and felt him around the waist to which a couple of envelopes fell out. When she was about to open them, Darck hurriedly beckoned her to stop.

‘Stop it, there could be something sharp inside!’

‘That would make for quite the childish prank, sir. Would you look at that, it came from Sir Vlad. Considering how he previously informed me how he worries for my future husband seeing as my expanding weight could quite possibly crush him, now he is claiming that Sir Darck is not worthy of my companionship, of all things? Hohoho, looks like he is still quite the immature man he is; how truly comical. Were these the nonsensical gibberishes that weary your mind, sir?’

‘But… I did hurt you.’

Vlad who faintly passes as Darck’s relative, was for some reason, being made to imitate a monk’s discipline in the Sereknight duchy. He is under the instruction of the duchy’s lord steward, the same person who created the huge gaping hole in the advanced-level dungeon. He was likely able to send those letters at the gaps of his tutelage. The House Moonlight was now apparently considering the younger second son for the inheritance, making it such a wonder, just what severe blunders the young lord has committed to that end.

‘How unnerving… Both of you are truly siblings. You hurt your own selves in asking for forgiveness; how truly alike.’

‘A-Are you talking about me and Chloe!?’

‘Just how many worries do you plan to burden your parents, sir Darck? Is that what is being expected of you, sir? To be unhappy? Or was it to bring happiness to your family this time around.
Have you even… entertained the idea of making me happy as your wife, sir?’

Darck caught a breath as Shiela drew near. He took off his glasses and wiped his face with his sleeves. He held Shiela with his trembling shoulders; layers of weep seemingly on the verge of escaping him.

‘I was wrong… Sorry, Shiela.’

‘This problem is no longer your own, sir. Think positively in the fulfillment of your younger sister’s wishes.’

Darck who had always been diffidently keeping his distance from Shiela, now lean his entirety over her shoulder. It was quite picturesque from afar and garnered the envious sentiments and stares of those passing by. Perhaps the young lord’s sorrows didn’t look to be so pitiful from the outside.