uǝǝʇǝuıu

꧁꧂

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ɴɪɴᴇᴛᴇᴇɴ: ʟɪᴠɪɴɢ ɪɴ ᴀ ᴅᴀʏᴅʀᴇᴀᴍ

"Don't tell me, dumbass." Dustin muttered over to me, storming across the mall towards the designated store. Or should I say... Ice cream parlour...

"Have a nice day." By the time we got to the front of the line, Steve was no longer on his shift, and Robin already looked like she wanted to be anywhere by here.

"Hey Robin." I smiled, and she nodded in my direction, probably assessing if I was trying to sneak into another movie or not.

"Hi." Dustin said, broad smile on his face as he looked at the serving lady.

"Hi..." She replied, not knowing what else to say.

The boy took a moment for himself. "I'm Dustin."

She gave me a look momentarily before another confused reply. "I'm Robin..."

"Pleasure to meet you." Dustin told her. "Uh- is- is he here?"

She didn't get where he was going with it. "Is who here?"

As if on cue, the back door opened up and Steve stood there as if his favourite child had finally returned from his trip. He held his hands in the air in complete happiness and winning style. "HENDERSON!" Dustin laughed as he looked over at him, meanwhile Steve was jumping around like he'd never been so happy. "HENDERSON! HE'S BACK!" Robin stared, completely lost for words, looking over at me, expecting there was a logical explanation. "HE'S BACK!"

"I'M BACK!" Dustin shouted just as loud. "YOU GOT THE JOB!"

"I GOT THE JOB!" He replied, still shouting as he imitated a trumpet with his hand and nose, walking over to us. The two continued to go on and do their long and complicated handshake, including imitations of a lightsaber battle, because that was... normal.

The two laughed and laughed while Robin looked over at Steve, with the most confused face I'd ever seen since Steve meeting Max at the junkyard. "How many children are you friends with?" Rule number seven: don't make friends with children. Adopt them. 

⊹˚˖⁺

"No! No way!" Steve says, leaning back in the booth we were sat in, after I'd listened for the second time, in twenty-four hours, the story of Dustin's new girlfriend. The boy scooped up a spoonful of ice cream, nodding as Steve spoke. "Hotter than Phoebe Cates? No."

"BRILLIANT, too. And she doesn't even care that my real pears are still coming in... She says kissing is better without teeth." As Dustin says the last bit, I mentally note to stay out of asking any questions of his relationships and love life.

Steve took a moment to take in his words before nodding. "Wow... yeah, that's great. Proud of you, man." Dustin nodded along to the boy's words. "That's kinda romantic..." I gave him a look as he hyped the boy all up, confused at where this was coming from.

"So, do you get to just eat as much ice cream as you like?" I ask, changing the subject quickly and eating a large mouthful from my own scoop.

Steve nodded, not really that interested in both subjects. "Yeah, I mean, sure. It's not really a good idea for me, though. You know, I gotta keep in shape for the ladies-"

"Yeah, and how's that working for you?" Robin suddenly called out, making snicker for a moment.

"Ignore her." Steve tells us both, like I'd never been here before.