uǝʌǝs-ʎʇɹoɟ

꧁꧂

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜰᴏʀᴛʏ-ꜱᴇᴠᴇɴ: ᴀɴᴅ ɪ'ʟʟ ᴄᴀʟʟ ʏᴏᴜ ᴍɪɴᴇ

Halfway through the ride, Steve was already exhausted. Which wasn't a big surprise considering everything we'd gone through in the last twenty-four hours. Gates, bats, weird glowing lights, more bats... another gate-

So, he and Nance swapped, considering it was either her driving, Eddie or Robin. None of which gave me a great thrill of surviving the rest of the day on. Also, not to my surprise, Robin then called shotgun on passengers' seat. Next to Nancy. See? They're so cute together. Sorry, Johnathan-

"Hey." I put on a brave smile as I look directly over at Max when she spoke. We hadn't really said anything to each other since the plan had been set out to the group. Not one on one. It had felt like forever since we'd spoken together like this. Like the world was at its end. As if there was no other choice for us than what the future had left. "You hanging in there?"

When she asked me that question, it felt as though it was hypocritical. Why was she asking me? Shouldn't I be asking her that? She's the one who's risking it all for us. For the world. "Yeah..." I murmur with a delicate nod. "Are you sure that you wanna do this?" I then asked. "Cause, if you're not sold on it, that's fine, we can still find another way- find someone in Ms Kelly's book who have similar symptoms, use them as bait instead of you, I mean you've already been through a lot-"

Max cut me off from my rambling with a hand on my own, eyes looking directly into mine. Shutting up now. "Parker, we can't just put a stranger at risk because someone in the group is scared." She reminds me.

And I knew that. I just didn't want to accept that. "I just don't like the idea of seeing you floating in the air again... Like ever."

She nods understandingly. "I know what Vecna is going to do." She then tells me. "A stranger wouldn't. He's going to use my memories against me." Trying to stay confident wasn't easy, but Max was doing her best right now. So yeah, I was trying to stay confident. "But- only my darkest memories... it's as though he only sees the darkness in his victims." When checking that I was still following, I nodded with furrowed eyebrows silently. "So... I'm just gonna run in the opposite direction." She almost cringed at her next words. "Run to the light..." She thinks as the two of us continue to sit in silence. "And maybe he won't be able to find me there."

I take in her words with a pinch of salt. I wanted to believe she had it all under control, I did. But I'm not one for always believing it's all going to work out when someone else is telling me it. "Do you know how you're gonna do that?" I asked her as hopeful I could sound.

She seemed momentarily mad that I knew her well enough to know that she hadn't thought that far ahead. Only momentarily, though. "I'm not sure..." She tells me honestly, then thinking again. "But it's my mind, not his, right?" When she looked back at me to ask it, I was slightly confused at where she was going with this. "So, I should be able to control where I am... I just need to... push him away? Find a happy memory and hide there. Hide in the light."

I nod, taking in how much of a genius my girlfriend was, along with a small smile. "Got any of those in mind? Or are you just gonna wing it and be a total badass while doing it?" When asking that question, the red head opposite me then smiles. It probably hadn't been long since I'd last seen it like that, but it was nice to see it again.

"Yeah." She says. "It was a time I was... happiest."

Raising an eyebrow, I couldn't help but catch on to also smiling as much as she was. "Yeah? When was that? Or do we have to play Cluedo for that too?"