ɴɪɴᴇᴛᴇᴇɴ | ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴇᴡ ᴋɪᴅs ɪɴ ᴛᴏᴡɴ

Julie had choosen not to speak to her family at all when she got back home. The only words she spoke were on the phone briefly to Joyce, who was saddened but understood about her not returning to their home. She had gone to bed facing away from Max, who wanted to apologize to her but was far too stubborn.

      In the morning, the sun shone brightly in Hawkins, and Julie found her small bed to be very comfortable, but she had to get up. Her first thing on her agenda was to finish unpacking and then to go see Nancy Wheeler. Her family wasn't aware of these plans, but this was her town, and she wasn't asking permission.

      Julie climbed out of her warm bed and quickly got dressed in a pair of dark jeans and a dark pink shirt, with her traditional navy jacket. She pulled her converse on and got to work on unpacking her trinkets and her music, trying hard not to wake Max up, but she did.

      "Sorry." Julie whispered to the redhead who was sitting up and rubbing her eyes.

      "What are you doing?" she asked, and Julie rolled her eyes.

      "What does it look like? I'm unpacking. Go back to sleep." she brushed off, standing and leaving their shared room.

      In the kitchen it was quiet, as no one was awake yet. Julie grabbed a muffin that Susan had gotten while she was out yesterday and hurried to write a note to anyone who cared that she was visiting her best friend. She left the house and was greeted by the cool October breeze mussing with her hair.

      Julie walked quickly to the Wheeler's, which was a longer walk than it used to be. She kicked stones along the way to pass the time, hands deep in her pockets. Julie hoped that she wouldn't see Steve, purely because she was too tired for his charming demeanor.

      When she arrived at the white and brick house on Maple Street, Julie knocked on the door three times, until Ted Wheeler opened the door, glasses clad on his face. "Can I help you?" he asked, leaning his arm against the doorframe.

      "I'm here to see Nancy." Julie said, but Ted wasn't convinced.

      "Karen, are we expecting a teenage girl?" Ted called into the house for his wife.

      "Ted! That's Julie! Let her in!" Karen called from somewhere in the house, causing Ted to open the door wider for Julie to walk in. When she did, the heard the water running in the kitchen, the tv playing in the living room and arguing that could only come from Nancy and Mike.

      Julie smiled at the feeling of home that the Wheeler's residence had. She had been missing that feeling. Julie stepped into the kitchen, the arguing of the oldest Wheeler siblings ceasing at her presense. Holly was sitting in her chair, playing with her food. Nancy made the first move towards Julie, and Julie met her in the middle with a smile on her face.

      "I missed you!" Nancy said, hugging Julie tighter.

      "I missed you too." Julie chuckled, squeezing Nancy once before letting go and putting her hands on her face, turning it around a few times. "You cut your hair." she marvelved, letting go of Nancy.

      Nancy nodded, wrapping on her fingers around one of Julie's many curls. "Your hair is longer. I like it." she said and both girls smiled.

      "Hi, Mrs. Wheeler. Mikey." Julie greeted, Mike rolling his eyes.

      Karen Wheeler crossed the room and hugged Julie briefly before letting go. "Hi, honey! How was California?" she asked.

      "It was good." Julie said, not lying. It was a good trip.