ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ | ᴛʜᴇ sɴᴏᴡ ʙᴀʟʟ

𝐓𝐰𝐨 𝐖𝐞𝐞𝐤𝐬 𝐋𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐫

      The day had come. The day of Hawkins Middle Snowball Dance. Julie and Nancy had volunteered to help chaperone, mainly so they could hang out and keep on eye on their siblings. Jonathan was going to be taking all of the pictures for the kids, and was also able to keep an eye on Will. Lucas and Dustin were Julie's responsibility, so she had a lot on her plate.

      In the last two weeks, the funeral for Barbara Holland was finally held. The public thought she died from exposure, but others knew the truth. Julie attended the funeral with Steve, Jonathan, Nancy and the Wheelers. She was friends with Barb, and it felt right to pay her respects.

      In the past two weeks, Steve and Julie had gone on two more dates, growing more comfortable with each other each time. Julie tried to get Steve to help at the dance with her and Nancy, but he declined immediately. Watching a whole school worth of children was a little too much for him.

      Susan, being Susan offered to help Max and Julie get ready. Max refused to wear a dress, and Julie didn't force her. There was no point, because Max looked beautiful. Julie was wearing a dark red dress and pinned half of her hair up.

      The three ladies of the house were in the bathroom, finishing getting ready. Susan and Julie were working on Max's hair, while the red head complained.

      "Ow, ow. That hurts." she said, her voice playing above a random Christmas song Julie had put on.

      "It's gonna be worth it. Promise." Susan smiled, handing Julie a barrette to pin in Max's hair.

      "She's right, you know." Julie commented, stepping back to admire the work she and Susan had done.

      Julie and Max heard footsteps walking by, and they both looked up to see Billy looking at them. Julie offered him a tiny smile. Billy looked like he wanted to say something, but Julie would never know because he walked away.

      "See? Pretty." Susan said while fluffing some of Max's locks. "You both look pretty." Susan turned to Julie, smoothing out some of her baby hairs.

      "Thank you." Julie said, meaning every word of it. Susan might not have been her mother, but she was her mom, and she cared more than Julie's mother ever did.

      With that, all of the prep work was done, and all that was left was for Susan to give Max and Julie a ride to the school, because Julie couldn't drive. She would've gone with Nancy, but Nancy went early to set up, and Julie was staying behind to clean up. Steve was bringing Julie home.

•••

      Julie walked in after Max, the red head claiming that she wanted to do it alone. So, like the good sister she was, Julie waited outside in the cold for five minutes before she went in and joined Nancy serving punch.

      "Hi!" Julie said, sliding behind the punch table next to her best friend.

      Nancy threw her arms around Julie. "Hi! Are you ready to serve annoying middle schoolers all night?" she asked as she let go.

      Julie nodded. "Volunteer work is volunteer work. You look great."

      "So do you." Nancy smiled, and the two started serving punch, laughing at jokes the other made.

      Mike, Will, Lucas and Max were already at the dance, the four of them waiting for Dustin at a table. Nancy started looking around Julie out the doors to where people were dropping kids off. She nudged Julie. "I think there's someone looking for you." she said, turning Julie's head with her hands out to where a certain car was with a certain boy in the driver's seat.