Chapter 28

Today is already starting out pretty shitty. Aside from walking with Gerard and Mikey, I've been having a bad morning. It's only third hour and I'm already getting shit from people.

Usually it doesn't bother me but I haven't received insults or physical abuse much since I came back to school. Now, even with people who I've never even seen before, I'm getting crap thrown at me left and right. It's mainly the regular stuff: faggot and then a punch or kick or whatever.

I can feel bruises coming on and there's nothing I can really do about it. They've figured out that it's a better idea to attack me during the hall passings that I'm not with Gerard. So far that was the transition from second to third.

The really, and I mean really, shitty part is that some teachers have seen this happening. Not just today either, evedyday. All last semester, too. They've never done anything about it. How is a school supposed to enforce a zero tolerance policy when they don't do anything?

Also, this is less shitty, but a lot confusing. I haven't seen Greyson at all. Usually, he visits me just about any hall passing he gets the chance. And by visit I mean physically, mentally, emotionally, and verbally assault me. I've kind of figured, more like assumed, that he's the reason this is going on. He dropped that whole "welcome back, buddy" attitude a long time ago and I guess this is just a late welcome.

Now it's back to when I was scared to turn a corner, scared to leave class, scared to do just about anything at school. I've been really good with my self harm lately and I seriously do not need that coming back up. So, let's just hope this is a one day thing.

*

Lunch isn't anything better than hall passing, not by a long shot. This is getting seriously out of hand and the staff are just letting it happen. Sure, I don't exactly put in a complaint about it, but I'm not really motivated to when the teachers who witness this don't even try to help.

While Mikey is telling a story about his English class, I feel some hit my back. Not like a paper wad or anything, more. I turn around, my eyebrows furrowed, and look at the floor to see any remnants of what hit me. There's a plastic cup with, what looks like, apple sauce on the sides and coming out of it a little. I get a look at my shirt and see it splattered with apple sauce. Perfect.

I'm honestly sick of today. My mood is in Hell, and I don't think I can take another three and a half hours of this.

Before I have any time to object, Gerard is out of his chair and storming across the lunch room. He hastily pushes up his jacket sleeves before pulling his fist back and colliding it with, surprisingly, yet not, Greyson's face. Surprising only because I haven't seen him all day. And not because, well, that much is obvious.

Greyson doesn't hesitate to fight back, shoving Gerard to the ground so he can pin him down and aim punches. Maybe Gerard is in a more violent mood this time, or maybe it's sheer luck, but before Greyson can get a second punch, Gerard shoves him off and gets on his knees to throw more punches. I don't think he's even aiming, just hitting wherever his fists land.

A crowd of students have swarmed the area, some chanting for Greyson, some for Gerard. The ones that are more into it are standing on chairs and tables, screaming for whichever they support to, and I quote, "Rip his head off!!" The hostility in this school is seriously out of hand.

All the fun is over, though, when the principal comes running into the cafeteria to break up the fight. He elbows and shoves his way through the tightly compacted sea of blood thirsty teenagers and manages to pry the two away from each other.

He looks around for a teacher and rolls his eyes when they land on Mr. Urie who was watching the fight break out. (A/N: I don't think I gave the principal a name in the last book so I'm giving him one now, okay?)