TWO

 "I feel the tension in the air. No I can't let you leave." Briella sang along with Belly. "So I kill my insecurities. You can't do better."

"Uh can you guys turn it down a little, please?" Laurel said.

"Yes please." Steven said.

"Thank you. I want you to be better about helping out this summer. Like, don't just leave your dishes in the sink. Load them into the dishwasher. And not just your own dish either Steven."

"What? But I..." Steven tried to argue but Laurel cut him off.

"I want you to be good houseguests."

"Mom, Susannah has people who clean, doesn't she? And why are you so worried about me? Brie here has people to clean for her. She probably doesn't even know what a dishwasher looks like."

"Steven." Laurel said, smacking the boy's head.

"Ow! All right. All right. Sorry."

"FYI, I do know what a dishwasher looks like Stevie." Briella said, saying the nickname she knew for sure he hated.

Steven rolled his eyes. "Ok whatever Cheese."

Briella chuckled at his weird nickname for her as she continued to admire the view on the drive.

"Just be considerate and act like I raised you right." Laurel said. "I already know I don't have to worry about Briella. She can take care of herself, I know she can." Laurel smiled at the girl as she interlock their hands. Laurel was always like a second mom to her. "Steven that means don't stay out too late."

"Mom, I'm too old for a curfew!" Steven complained.

"You sure don't act like it." Briella said. Steven scoffed as he continued to drive.

"Wait what about me? I don't have a curfew either right?" Belly asked.

Steven laughed. "What do you need a curfew for? You don't go anywhere."

"Shut up Steven!" Briella smacked the boy's arm.

"Don't be a jackass Steven." Laurel added.

"What?" Steven chuckled. 

"Belly, we'll talk about it when something comes up."

"Does that mean I have a curfew?" Briella asked. She never had a curfew because her half ass of a parent didn't care how late she stayed out. She could be gone for 3 days and her dad wouldn't even notice.

"You're an adult Brie, I can't stop you from doing what you want to do. Just don't stay out too late that's all I ask." Briella nodded, satisfied with Laurel's answer.

Belly groaned. "That's not far. Brie and I are literally the same age."

"Yeah but Briella is more independent than you. She can take care of herself."

"Whatever. Don't forget you promised you'd take me driving. Both of you." Belly said looking at both her brother and best friend.

"Belly I told you I'd take you." Laurel said, a little upset.

"Yeah but you're too judgy."

"Excuse me?" Both Steven and Briella laughed.

"Yes I'm sorry."