FIFTY-TWO

"I'm not gonna ask again. What are you doing here?" Briella repeated. She didn't know why the man was here. Last time they talked, it didn't go so well.

"I'm sorry."

"You're sorry?"

Drew nodded. "Brie, I should have known you were telling the truth. And I'm sorry for yelling at you."

"Yeah you should be." 

Drew tried not to smile at how blunt his daughter was being. That was something he missed about her. 

"You were right. Turns out Kira was just using me for my money. She took everything in the safe behind the fruit painting. And her son, isn't even her son. He's her friend's that she was looking after when her and her husband were on their honeymoon." Drew explained.

Wow. Never in a million years did she think this would actually happen. It feels like they're in a movie.

"Seriously? What are we gonna do?"

"Don't worry about it kiddo. She didn't get far until the police caught her. She's going to jail for a long time."

Briella nodded, trying to process everything that was just said. She always knew Kira was a crazy bitch. But she didn't know she was that crazy. "Why did you do it? Why did you leave me after mom passed away?"

Drew sighed. "I didn't know how to grieve for her. Every time I saw you, every time I was in that house, it reminded me so much of her. And it made her being gone true. And I was being selfish, only thinking about myself. I was just so sad and upset that I tried finding happiness with someone else not realizing I had a daughter who was going through the same thing as I was. And I know I've been a shit show of a father, but I'm willing to make up for it. I want to be better. I am sorry my little Brie."

Briella smiled at her dad. That's all she's ever wanted was for her dad to admit what he did was wrong and to move on from it. She saw how genuine he was being. It's not every day her dad admits his faults. "Apologize accepted. But can you promise me one thing?"

Drew nodded. "Anything."

"Please don't leave me, ever again. I need you."

"I promise." Drew said pulling her into a hug. "She would be so proud of you today. You're making her proud. You're making me proud."

"Thanks dad."

"Does that mean you need a partner right now?"

"What?" Briella asked, confused.

Drew nodded his head to the direction of the court. Briella turned around to see her boyfriend playing with her best friend. The fuck? The girl couldn't believe what she was seeing.

Why in the hell is her boyfriend playing with her best friend?

Isn't that against the rules?

She couldn't help but feel her heart break when she saw how happy they were. Every time they scored a point, they did a handshake, a handshake that they made up since they were kids.

Maybe what Jeremiah was right. Of course he's right. He's been right all along. Was Conrad just using her to make Belly jealous? Did he really like her like he said he did? Was what they had all a lie?

And Briella felt betrayed by her best friend. All their girl talks, Netflix and Chills, beach days, was all a blur now. She couldn't believe Belly would do this to her. 

"Playing in the finals we have Team Belly and Team Briella. Game starts in 30 minutes."

FML. 

✄-----------------------------

uuuuh ooohh conrad you had one job, ONE JOB, and yet you always disappoint us

but the real question is who's conrad gonna choose to play with? 

briella? 

belly?