FIFTY-ONE

Volleyball was always something Briella Swift was good at. At the age of 4, her mom, being the head coach at the University of Nebraska, taught her the basics. How to properly receive a serve, how to serve, how to spike, set, really everything a good, all around volleyball player should know. 

Briella ended up liking the sport. It brought her a sense of joy scoring a point every time the other team couldn't dig her kills.

Volleyball was always something she shared with her mom. Even after a long day of practice, her mom would still make time to help her with her serving. That slowly changed when her mom started getting weaker. The chemo she had to go through, restricted her in helping her daughter get better. There's only so much the woman could yell without showing.

So when her mom passed away, not only did she lose her mom, she lost her coach. The girl continued to play of course. She honored her mom every time she stepped foot on the court. She was doing this for her. And that gave her motivation for today's competition.

Even if Briella said she didn't care if she lost this competition, a part of her wanted to win. To show everyone what her mom taught her to do ever since she was little.

First they were up against 2 dads that went by the team name Chip and Guac. It was cute. Conrad and Briella did their little handshake as they got into position to play.

Not to brag or anything, but this game was too easy. The dads couldn't even dig her spikes nor could they block it. They ended up winning 2 sets out of 3 with a score of 16-21, and 13-21.

The second round was against Team Lauren. Two very competitive girls. They were definitely more of a challenge. The girl was very surprised by Conrad's skills. He received serves well and set up balls for the girl to hit in the perfect spot. They barely won that round and the girl was exhausted. Granted she was more used to playing volleyball indoors with AC.

Beach volleyball was a completely different story and it didn't help that it was hot.

"You were amazing." Briella smiled at the boy. They were finally on a break and waiting for the next round.

"You were amazing." Conrad smiled. He's never been this happier. "We make an excellent team."

"We do." Briella nodded and then her mood turned sour.

"Ella?" The boy asked as he turned around to see what his girlfriend was looking at. "Oh."

"Little Brie!" Drew smiled as he walked up to the pair. "You played so well."

"What are you doing here?" Briella asked.

"Can we talk?"

Conrad knew this was good for the girl. She needed to talk to her dad. "I'll leave you guys to it. Nice seeing you Mr Swift." With that the boy walked away leaving the girl with her dad to talk.

This should be great.