Chapter 3:English Class

"Today we'll be practicing some calligraphy while writing a poem. Calligraphy is a way to express your writing without anyone reading the actual contents of your writing."The teacher explained and showed an example of a short poem written in a beautiful font, the wisps of lines and curves in the letters presenting a beauty that illustrated a poem that seemed quite pleasing to the eye. Xie Lian nodded as he was handed a blank piece of paper."Write a short poem in your own handwriting, then write it in calligraphy that accurately shows what you want the poem to represent.It's due by the beginning of class tomorrow." Xie Lian picked up a pen and placed it on the paper, a poem coming to him rather quickly as he wrote the words swiftly on to the pale sheet.

'Water bountiful
Running fast and dangerous
Crystal blue reflects'

He thinks for a moment as he finishes the quick haiku, and finds it a perfect short poem.He then starts writing it in calligraphy, making the lines a wavy light connection of letters, and then words.He's fairly happy with his work, and when he's about to call over the teacher to his desk when he glances to see San Lang's work.His eyes widen as he scans the words.

'Like Captured Water,
You hold me in your cupped hands
I flow on your palm.'

The Poem itself is rather thoughtfully put together and isn't entirely surprising, but what catches Xie Lian off guard is the penmanship! Even the poem written without calligraphy has jagged lines, like there was excessive pressure onto the pen and that it was used in slow succession.Xie Lian ignored the need to call the teacher over instead he stood beside San Lang watching as he pressed the pen against the paper making the curves that were supposed to be there for calligraphy turn into sharp bold lines.Xie Lian winced and without thinking grasped San Lang's hand, trying to guide his hand properly.Instead it seemed that the lines were getting even more sharp and illegible.

"San Lang..."Xie Lian whined as he tried moving the pen better but San Lang just smiled and continued to haphazardly move the pen.

"Gege, this is my assignment, not yours."San Lang teased and Xie Lian finally let go of San Lang's hand letting out an exasperated sigh.

"Yes, but...San Lang.."Xie Lian started but then stopped not wanting to be too harsh as to say 'your handwriting is bad' even though that was clearly the case."Could I help you improve your calligraphy?"Xie Lian asked gently and San Lang paused before laughing.

"Of course! Does Gege think that my penmanship is crude?I've heard many people say so."San Lang asked and Xie Lian sucked in a quiet breath before responding quickly.

"No!No!Your penmanship is quite...creative!And has a lot of character!"Xie Lian said, trying to make his prior thoughts become unseen by the other not wanting to hurt San Lang's feelings.

"Gege is so kind!Then since Gege is offering I'll gladly accept help."San Lang said looking quite pleased with this development. Xie Lian didn't know whether to laugh or cry at this new development, listening as the bell rang signaling the end of English class. Xie Lian quickly got his things together and yelled a quick goodbye to Shi Qingxuan before walking out with San Lang.

"What's your next class, San Lang?"Xie Lian asked as they walked throughout the crowded hall together.

"Calculus,"San Lang replied as he weaved through the crowd making sure to stay close with Xie Lian, shoulder to shoulder.

"I do too,"Xie Lian said quizzically, curious if they had another class together.They kept walking until a certain hallway came up and San Lang stopped.

"I'm going this way,"San Lang pointed down a hallway that was filled with teens running around trying not to be late for their class and Xie Lian nodded.