Chapter 5:Friendship

"Let's go then Gege,"Hua Cheng said as he stood up, grasping on to Xie Lian's hand as he pulled them up from the dust and gravel.They brushed the dirt from their clothes and Xie Lian winced as he looked at his hand, a couple of scrapes gathering on his palm.Hua Cheng quickly noticed this and he grasped on to Xie Lian's hand carefully, unspeaking.

"San Lang?'Xie Lian questioned as Hua Cheng examined the cuts that swelled red with a stinging pain.Hua Cheng quickly searched in his pockets to pull out a white cloth which he wrapped around Xie Lian's palm.

"We can get proper bandages later."Hua Cheng said and Xie LIan nodded as they walked out of the alley.Hua Cheng led the way in silence, his demeanor changing as soon as he recognized Xie Lian's injury.Xie Lian questioned why, thinking: 'It's only a scrape...it must have happened when I fell before' he recalled thinking of the moment when Hua Cheng pushed him away from the boy.For a moment a thought crossed Xie Lian's mind that maybe, just maybe, Hua Cheng felt regretful about his injury, but that thought flew away just as quickly as a gust of wind once Hua Cheng spoke again,"Does it hurt?"

"No, really I didn't notice it until I saw it."Xie Lian stated as he looked at the cloth covering his palm."Thank you, for this, "Xie Lian said softly as he looked at Hua Cheng, allowing himself to smile softly at the gesture of kindness.

"I'm sorry that I got Gege involved in that fight..."Hua Cheng said softly, his brows knitting as frustration burned on his expression.

"San Lang."Xie Lian spoke, a sternness in his voice that made Hua Cheng's gaze snap to him."I got in the middle of that fight because I wanted to, you didn't do anything, no one did anything to me.I'm fine, really.Believe me when I tell you I'm fine."His words were as heavy as boulders, as strong as diamond and as true as any thing in this world.Hua Cheng couldn't open his mouth to repute the words instead he nodded.

"Ok."Hua Cheng replied simply, having nothing more to say, and nothing more to regret.

"Ok then, so...does your band perform in concerts, with a live audience?"Xie Lian asked, changing the subject swiftly as they walked.

"Yes, but it's difficult to find a venue and it is expensive so we mostly perform for contests when we get the chance,"Hua Cheng explained.

"Oh?Does that mean that you work so you can get money for the band?"Xie Lian asks with curiosity, prickling his mind.

"Mostly yes, but we all contribute...Look Gege, we're here."Hua Cheng said as he pointed at a building, it was small but there were people who came in and out who carried instruments in all shapes and sizes.

"Ahh, is this a studio?"Xie Lian chirped, his eyes sparkling with curiosity.

"En, let's go inside"Hua Cheng said as he guided Xie Lian inside, opening the door for him. Xie Lian laughed shortly as he thanked him for the polite gesture.Hua Cheng smiled as a response as they both went into the warmth of the building.

"Welcome,"A woman that looked to be around 40 or 50 years old called as she looked from her desk to them and then immediately smiled."Ah! Hua Cheng welcome, you know your aunt has been worried sick about you!?"The woman chirped as she ran up to Hua Cheng looking him up and down, before looking over toward Xie Lian."Ah, and who is this?"The women asked and Xie Lian smiled sheepishly.

"I'm a friend of Sa—Ahem—Hua Cheng.''Xie Lian quickly corrected himself, assuming the name he addressed Hua Cheng wouldn't be how others addressed him normally.

"I see...right let me get your uncle in here!He's been meaning to talk to you about the rent in your...ahem he'll discuss it with you,"The woman said carefully eyeing Xie Lian as she averted her words to a vague statement."He Xuan and Yin Yu are in the studio waiting!"The woman exclaimed as she left the room.Xie Lian felt rather overwhelmed as he looked over toward Hua Cheng wondering if he was allowed to ask...