Chapter 4:"Your Band?"

It became clear to Xie Lian very early on that San Lang would need to practice his penmanship rather frequently to be able to have a permanent change and improvement in it.It became a ritual of sorts, for Xie Lian and San Lang to meet up during lunch to practice calligraphy and writing. San Lang appeared to have an enormous amount of enjoyment in teasing, and messing with Xie Lian during their practices.So much so that Xie Lian almost thought that San Lang was deliberately ruining his penmanship, but glancing at San Lang's writing in English class he doubted this thought.

"San Lang..."Xie Lian whined as San Lang wrote, his lines just as incomprehensibly messy as before.

"Haha, apologies Gege,"San Lang said apologetically as he let go of the pen, rolling his wrist as if his hand had started to hurt."Gege doesn't need to continue to help this incompetent San Lang with his penmenship if Gege doesn't want to."San Lang said, sounding guilty and Xie Lian frowned slightly and then shook his head.

"No, no, San Lang is doing well, why don't we take a break for now,"Xie Lian said, trying not to hurt San Lang's feelings, as he avoided the subject."What does San Lang do after school"Xie Lian asked suddenly as San Lang put away his pen and papers.

"Hmm, well there is the band,"San Lang said slowly, thinking over the question carefully.

"Your Band?"Xie Lian asked and San Lang nodded

"Yes, does Gege want to see us perform?"San Lang asked and Xie Lian hummed as he brought out their lunches carefully.

"That sounds nice, but are you sure San Lang, I wouldn't want to impose."Xie Lian asked as he pushed San Lang's lunch toward him, and Xie Lian opened his own.

"It wouldn't be an imposition, really,"San Lang replied with a smile as he opened the lunch, looking pleased with the contents inside.

"If you're sure, I'll gladly watch you perform."Xie Lian replied, as they both ate in a comfortable silence, allowing each other to enjoy their meals.Even so Xie Lian ate rather quickly, seeing that they only had 5 minutes until the end of lunch, having started their writing practice before eating was a small mistake seeing as they didn't have much time to eat.Xie Lian's quick consumption of his food made it so that a lot of the food missed the mark, pieces of rice sticking to Xie Lian's mouth and cheek.San Lang seeing this started to chuckle which in turn made him choke on pieces of food that he was still trying to swallow.If a third party watched these two they would probably call them 'off' or 'strange', one choking, one messily eating, but maybe they were a weird that wasn't weird, a weird that fit them.Xie Lian patted San Lang's back as he gave him a worried look."Are you ok?"He asked and San Lang nodded clearing his throat as he looked at Xie Lian with tears building in his eyes from the choking, and instead of wiping the tears away he whipped away the food stuck to Xie Lian's face.He chuckled lightly as he coughed, and Xie Lian smiled tenderly at the affection and wiped away a tear that started to fall on San Lang's cheek.They stared at each other for a moment as if they were speaking without words, until a loud ring was heard making them both jump.They quickly fumbled around with their things, putting away everything as they rushed out of the lunchroom together.

"See you after school?"Xie Lian asked as they started to walk their separate ways.

"En, see you then, Gege,"San Lang said with a grin and Xie Lian could only grin right back.

....

Xie Lian watched the clock closely as the time ticked down to the end of the day.His anticipation made him almost run out a minute early, but he stayed seated, his eyes never leaving the ticking clock.And when the bell rang signaling the end of the day he was the first to stand but just as he was about to leave he heard someone call out: