Chapter 6:"A Beloved One?"

"See you in English?"Xie Lian asked

"En, see you."Hua Cheng said back as he turned on his heel heading to his own class.Xie Lian waved as he entered his first classroom of  the day.Xie Lian found himself able to ignore the stares of his classmates as he walked to his seat, a perpetual smile lingering on his face.He sat relaxed, taking out his class notes, reviewing them happily when he heard someone come over to him, sitting next to him.Xie Lian glanced beside himself and smiled.

"Good Morning, Shi Qingxuan,"Xie Lian said with a smile and Shi Qingxuan smiled back.

"Morning, Xie Lian,"Shi Qingxuan smiled slightly before frowning and looking away.

"What's wrong?"Xie Lian asked and Shi Qingxuan opened and closed their mouth like a fish, hesitant.

"Nothing, I-I'll talk to you later."Shi Qingxuan said quickly as he got up from the seat going to his own as the bell rang for class to start.Xie Lian sat there confused.Everytime Xie Lian felt like Shi Qingxuan wanted to tell him something important in all these years of knowing each other, he felt like they could talk easily, and thoroughly about the problem.This, however was different.For the whole morning Shi Qingxuan tried to find the courage to start what seemed to be like a convoluted conversation that could sour if it was left for too long.Eventually, during English class Xie Lian sighed glancing at Shi Qingxuan trying to find a way to go up and ask, trying to clear the air between them as quickly as possible.

"Is Gege worried about something?"San Lang asked and Xie Lian smiled slightly and just shook his head.

"No, no, just, thinking..."Xie Lian said as he looked at San Lang and smiled."Are you worried?"

"Heh, no, just thinking."Hua Cheng smiled and laughed as Xie Lian's smile grew.The bell rang making Xie Lian jump slightly in 'ah' as he fumbled to put his things away."Gege."San Lang called and Xie Lian hummed in acknowledgement as he looked over to San Lang."Gege, does not need to wait for me.During lunch."Xie Lian's mind skidded to a stop.

"What..?"He asked slowly as someone bumped into his shoulder apologizing under their breath as they left the classroom.

"I...I'll be busy.So I just wanted to tell you I won't be coming to meet up during lunch."San Lang said slowly, averting his eyes slightly as if he regretted bringing up the subject.

Xie Lian blinked for a moment before speaking again."Oh!Right, ok, um, yea, thanks for telling me."Xie Lian stuttered as he slung his bag over his body as he walked ahead of San Lang trying to hide his face as it radiated red with embarrassment.Not only did Xie Lian not expect San Lang to say that, he also didn't quite know how react to his sudden feeling of disappointment that shocked his heart.San Lang looked away for a moment as he also got up from his seat, and they both walked out of the classroom, in a slightly uncomfortable silence.The first they ever had.Xie Lian took one last glance into the classroom to see Shi Qingxuan looking back at him.He looked away quickly and Xie Lian questioned it.Xie Lian sighed quickly as he sped his steps, realizing they had been in the classroom for a bit to long.San Lang followed suit but he remained silent as there footsteps along with other students rang throughout the halls.Reaching their hallway Xie Lian slowed and started to speak but closed his mouth, opening it hesitantly.

"I..I'll see you."Xie Lian said, trying not to stutter in awkwardness.

"See you,"San Lang replied as he waved and went toward his classroom.Xie Lian went into his own.He sighed as he got to his desk, his mind swirling with foggy thoughts.He couldn't help question the sudden tension between Shi Qingxuan, and now this sudden awkward stiffness with San Lang, it felt all too much.So in response he allowed himself to sink into math and focused entirely on the lesson in front of him.