03 𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘦𝘺𝘦𝘴.

03 staring eyes

☼ ☼ ☼

when i awoke, cam had already left. he mustve had work today, so he wouldve been gone hours ago. by the light that came through the slightly opened door, it was already close to 10 am.

the boat swayed a little bit more than usual, and i breathed deeper to keep my heartbeat calm.

a new voice right outside the door startled me. the feeling went away, only a little, at my dads laugh. i slowly rose from my bed, inching forward towards the door, i walked carefully as to not let the rocking of the boat send me tumbling into the door.

"all right just picture it like this, okay?" a deep voice startled me to my core, and my heart mustve stopped beating.

conrad fisher.

conrad fisher was on my boat.

i slowly took a breath, and peeked through the crack in the door. my father leaned over something, and conrad was looked down at it. the boat continued to sway, and conrad adjusted his position, and i saw a rope in his hands.

"this standing line is the tree, and all you have to do is make a loop-" conrad started talking about rabbits and holes, but my head was already spinning too fast to focus on what they were doing.

he had actually come?

after last night, i wouldve guessed, even if he wasnt drunk, that the last thing he wanted to do was help my father. but, because he was drunk, i thought he had probably forgotten.

but he was here, on my boat, actually teaching my dad sailing tricks. not caring if his mother had put him up to it, at least, not showing it.

i had to swallow bile.

i watched them for a few minutes. the way conrad's fingers weaved through the rope to make a perfect knot, and how my dads face was creased with confusion, i inferred conrad was showing him different knot styles. i had been learning a few on this internship myself, and believed he had just finished a bowline. but i couldn't be sure.

"can i offer you something to drink?" my father asked him after a few tries on his own. i was deep in my thoughts, and i rushed back to the bed. the fridge was in here, next to the door. and i wasnt going to be caught crouched next to the door, eavesdropping, like a child.

i begged the universe to send my dad in here to get the drink for him.

"a coke, would be nice." conrad nodded. he had been perfectly aligned with the crack in the door from my spot on the bed.

"yeah, of course! the fridge is inside to the left." i bit the inside of my cheek.

find something to do, macee.