12 𝘥𝘦𝘣𝘱𝘰𝘴𝘢𝘭.

12 debposal

☼ ☼ ☼

a few nights later, the boys set out for their annual fishing trip, meant just for the boys.

belly smiled at me while she covered the living room floor with blankets and couch cushions, "i love that you're here now. ive always had to spend this weekend alone."

belly had invited shayla, steven's girlfriend, and me over for a girls night. there was movies, junk food, and lots of gossip planned. i was honestly pumped, i had never done this sort of thing before.

shayla got there, arms full with countless tubs of ice cream, just on time. belly finished up the beds while i started the movie we all had chose - ten things i hate about you.

"sucks heath ledger is dead," belly frowned as she topped off her tub of chocolate dream, "he was insanely hot."

shayla and i giggled in agreement.

"so how did you two get into the whole debutaunt thing?" i asked, shoveling more mint chip in my mouth, "is it like, a family tradition in cousins?"

"for me," shayla's eyes widened, "yes. its, like, siding with satan if a daughter doesnt become a deb her junior year of highschool." she laughed.

"susannah just really really wanted me to," belly shrugged, "i hate this kind of thing, my mom protested for weeks, but susannah was, like, oddly pushy about it."

i tried to hide my frown, everyone knew susannah fisher had been deb queen her year back in the day, and i had been able to see the joy and pride she had awaiting belly's presence at this years ball. it was no wonder to me why is was so important to her - she was dying, and she wanted to see the closest girl she had to a daughter participate in the annual event. before it was too late.

"well, i can tell it means a lot to her that your doing it." i encouraged her to stick with it, and she nodded.

"i would do anything for that woman, shes practically my second mother." belly rolled her eyes, "even if that means i have to suffocate, not only in pounds of makeup, but a tight puffy dress, too." we both laughed at that, and shayla agreed.

"this all must be really weird for you belly," shayla mentioned while carefully pressing her face mask to her cheeks, "seeing these boys of yours suddenly have girlfriends?"

"yeah, and one of them being you!?" i continued as i winced, ripping mine off my forehead.

"oh, its so strange," belly nodded, "ive always secretly loved being the only girl in this house. i got all their attention, could play the only-girl card whenever i wanted..." belly listed out all the things that usually came with summer, and we all laughed at her, "but, now," she smiled fondly at us, "i have friends of my own, and i wouldnt want it any other way." she reached for each of our hands, and we all connected fingers.