13 𝘰𝘭 ' 𝘴𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘳𝘰𝘰.

13 ol' switcharoo

☼ ☼ ☼

"jere!" i screamed playfully, whacking the boys exposed shoulder, "why aren't you dressed yet?"

the boy was still in his undershirt, standing within a crowd of highly tailored people right outside the deb ball, he just laughed at me.

"look at us." mrs fisher gleamed proudly, "it's perfect!"

we all stood - well, all except jeremiah - dressed in our dresses and suits. conrad looked just as fine as he had the other night, if not better.

susannah had done my make up, and put my hair in perfect beach curls. not too much, but just perfect, exactly how i wanted it.

"mum, you're not gonna cry are you?" jeremiah teased.

"what, and ruin my makeup? no way." she giggled like a school girl, "it's just... everything going to be different next year. conrad's going to college, and you all are growing up, have girls of your own now," she stretched her arm out to me, and squeezed my hand, "it may be the last summer we're all together!" she had said the words with a big smile, but her voice cracked slightly.

conrad and i shared a glance. she wasn't talking about conrad's absence, she was predicting her own.

i saw mrs conklins face tighten, too.

"just don't forget i get a dance with you tonight." jeremiah smiled over at her, and she nodded, letting jeremiah spin her around and dip her slightly. he was definitely a momma's boy, no question about it.

but when she rose back up, her legs faltered a bit.

"mom, are you ok?" jeremiah asked quickly. conrad stepped behind her, placing a hand on her back.

"yeah, um," she stood a bit taller, "it's just been so long since i've danced, i must be out of practice."

"jere, could you take her inside please?" conrad asked, and jeremiah took one of his mothers arms like prince charming always did in the movies. he had a way of acting like a prince, no matter where he was.

conrad looked over at me, concern in his eyes. i just hugged him.

he let out a huge breath on my back, "i still get a dance with you, too, right?"

i smiled, pulling his face in front of mine, "of course connie."

he smiled lazily, "that'll really cheer me up."

the deb ball was elegant. champagne glasses stacking in pyramids, everyone in the richest clothes they owned, and no one was seen with a frown. the decorations were all pearly white, and the room had little hints of red here and there. it was breathtaking.

i snuck away, just for a second, to check on belly. the crowds were making me clammy, but what i found in the back room was much worse. twenty or so girls, dressed up from head to toe.