06 𝘺𝘰𝘶'𝘳𝘦 𝘮𝘰𝘳𝘦 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘭.

06 you're more real

☼☼☼

cam hadn't said much on the ride back, just that maybe going to fireworks was a mistake. i ended up cracking him by the end of the drive, though, as we laughed again at how drunk jeremiah had gotten on the beach.

"yeah, all those kids are lightweights." cam nodded, telling me a story of how karaoke shouldn't have been an option at the towns last party.

"thanks for coming." cam looked over at me as he put his car in park, right beside the boat docks, "seriously."

"thanks for taking me." i smiled, and let it grow like it wanted to. my cheeks hurt from all the unusual stretching they had done today. it felt nice. like the satisfying ache in your muscles after a good workout.

it was a satisfying pain.

i gave him a hug, and he drove off. i stayed there, on the gravel, for a second longer.

it was dark now, and the beach echoed with fireworks coming from multiple places. i had never been one to enjoy the fourth, but this year felt different.

i felt my face blush. my smile hasn't even left yet.

who was i?

i was too tired to figure it out now, so i slowly walked back to the boat. i let my feet slide elegantly with each step, and swayed my arms like a child. i giggled to myself a little.

my eyes rose to see someone sitting at the very edge of the dock. about twenty feet away. it had gotten so dark that i could just barely see the small of their back.

it was a boy.

a familiar boy.

"conrad?" i asked into the dark, and the boys head shifted to face me.

"hey, mace." he said, nodding in my direction.

i walked slowly over to him, "whatcha doin' here?" i laughed slightly.

he didn't speak until i had walked over to him, sitting with his feet dangling over the edge of the dock.

"i'm sorry about earlier."

"oh," i said, sitting down next to him, crossing my legs, "you don't have to be sorry. you didn't have to say goodbye to me or anything-"

the way he looked in my eyes made me stop talking.

"i wanted to."

i pressed my lips together, "okay." was all i could bring myself to say.

we sat a moment, watching distant fireworks, with the booms coming a few seconds late. there were screaming and hollers down the beach, like someone had just won the lottery. the night air was still warm, and i felt cozy. comfortable.