chapter 8

“As mom said back then, we’re making her look suspicious.”

She was speechless. It wasn’t because Roland was making a wild guess. On the contrary, it was because Roland’s words made sense.

A scruffy young woman with two young children must have looked very unnatural, but Karina shook her head.

“No, you’re completely wrong.”

“Really?” Roland’s eyes widened.

“Well, do you want me to tell you the real reason?”

“…Yes.”

Karina leaned over and whispered at eye level with the children.

“Because we didn’t seem to have any money.”

“…!”

Fortunately, it sounded quite plausible. It was even half true. Karina quickly went on.

“It’s not a big deal. We can go somewhere very cheap. They’ll accept us, no matter how little money we look like.”

“Was that it?”

“That’s what it was.”

Karina nodded with her head pressed. Roland’s expression brightened very slowly. Karina leaned over and pinched Roland’s cheek slightly.

“Now don’t worry about ridiculous things, okay?”

“Yeah!” Roland’s answer echoed brightly in her ears.

* * *

The cheapest inn on the street was five kibrin a day.

As soon as they entered, the smell of sticky and musty floor was annoying because it wasn’t properly cleaned, but Karina didn’t turn around and leave.

This inn doesn’t discriminate against people, she couldn’t hurt the children by being rejected again to find a better environment.

The inn owner, who was taking a nap with his hairy feet on the counter, blinked his eyes like a toad waking up from hibernation when they came in.

Karina mustered up her courage and approached him.

“Hello.”

The innkeeper looked up at her and spoke bluntly.

“10 kibrin a day.”

“It said 5 kibrin…”

“That’s per person. They’re kids, so let’s count them as one. Shouldn’t you put them to bed?”

Karina frowned. Isn’t an inn normally a double room? But Karina didn’t have time neither a room left to argue further.

She wanted to quickly lay Melissa on the bed, who is already dozing off because her eyes were closed, and give Roland a piece of bread that she ate leftover from yesterday, who had heard his stomach growling for a while.

“All right.”

“Pay in advance.”

Karina carefully pulls a 10 kibrin silver coin out of her pocket and handed it to the innkeeper.

“What about meals? One kibrin per meal.”

“It’s okay.”

“You’ll regret it.”

Karina shook her head. This inn was very filthy just by looking around a little. It was obvious what kind of environment the food would be made in.

Lord Lenque mistreated the children, but at least the servants were faithful to their original job of sweeping and cleaning the mansion.