chapter 34

Karina panicked and immediately stopped the children.

“Guys, you have to be quiet.”

At the same time, a sense of relief rose. Roland and Melissa helped her again this time. The children quickly began chewing the food again and Karina opened her mouth towards Claude.

“My husband’s… brother took all the money he had left. He was even trying to sell the children so I ran away in a hurry without anything.”

Claude looked at Karina with a gaze that seemed to judge the authenticity of her words.

“That’s why you ran away here. I thought it was a little strange. Not many people come to settle in Tors. Normally they go to Edmoor. Since it’s the capital.”

Karina smiled bitterly.

“We were originally going to go there too. But the situation wasn’t good, so we settled down here.”

Claude’s answer came back a little slow.

“Then, does the lady planning to go to the capital when the children grow up?”

“…?”

Karina stopped drinking her drink and looked at Claude in surprise. Claude’s words contained a desperate desire that Karina couldn’t refuse. But the answer has already been decided. Karina will migrate to the capital after saving money for several years. Just to avoid Claude.

‘I just have to agree.’

But she didn’t know why this simple answer felt so heavy. Karina moved her tongue to create a single syllable.

“…Yes.”

“Okay, I see.”

“Are you disappointed?”

“No.”

Claude sighed.

“I just… took it for granted. The capital is a place with a lot more opportunities.”

It seemed close to resignation, but Karina didn’t necessarily point out the fact.

“I have one more question for the lady.”

“What is it?”

“Why don’t you ask me how to remove the mark?”

Karina nodded at the children instead of answering. The children pretended to eat their food eagerly, but Karina didn’t miss the fact that the children were listening intently to their conversations. Perhaps the same is true for Claude as well

“Ah, I see. I didn’t think about it much. Actually, I’m not curious. There’s nothing I can do about it.”

“That’s strange. The lady used to want to know everything. But now, aren’t you curious?”

“It’s a problem that I can’t solve at all.”

Claude’s forehead frowned.

“The lady must give up from the beginning if she can’t solve it with her own hands.”

Karina shrugged her shoulders.

“Isn’t that obvious? Of course, I have to.”

It would have been a completely different life. A life where she could do what she wanted and solve problems that seemed impossible… She wasn’t angry. How can they understand each other when they have lived differently?

“Even if Mrs. Bloe said she can’t do anything to solve this problem, she’s a part of it. Of course, you need to know how things are going.”

“It’s okay if I don’t know.”