chapter 25

“I came to get an answer from the invitation I sent the other day.”

“What…?”

Karina lost her words. She was dumbfounded. An invitation. When in the world did he send that to her?

Claude also looked at Karina surprised.

“I thought it would be too much if I send it to the lady’s house… so I sent it to Wilder. Did you not get it?”

“I didn’t.”

Karina got really flustered. No matter how fearless you are, you won’t dare enough to ignore the invitation of the Duke of Tors while living in Tors.

‘No, that means you’re headless.’

(T/N: Which implies you’re as good as dead xD)

Karina answered as clearly as possible to show sincerity.

“I can’t possibly ignore your invitation. Of course, I didn’t see or receive it. But why did you invite me?”

“I see, you didn’t get it.”

The Duke didn’t seem offended even though the invitation he had sent had been lost somewhere. No, it was the other way around.

“Then I can think of it as only been rejected once.”

“What?”

Karina’s eyes widened at Claude’s sweet words. Rejected?

“Mrs. Bloe”

Claude called her in a serious voice.

“I know the lady is reluctant to me. It’s probably because I’m the Duke of Tors.”

“…”

“If I had been a wealthy merchant, the lady would have accepted my offer. Is that correct?”

“…Yes.”

Karina didn’t deny it. When Claude had offered her to be a Duke’s vassal, it was before he showed interest in Roland. Of course, if Claude hadn’t been a nobleman, Karina would have accepted the offer with joy. Claude sighed quietly.

“It’s a strange situation. What has been helpful so far… is now a hindrance.”

“Your Grace, there are so many great vassals that you can’t even compare with me…”

“Not many.”

Claude cut Karina’s words at once.

“No, I don’t have one.”

“You don’t have any?”

Karina asked back confused. Wilder said that he was a vassal of the Duke before. He seemed to have retired now, but there was no way that Wilder could have been the only capable vassal in the Duke family.

Besides, considering the contents of the novel the Duke is a talent maniac. There’s no way there are people who refuse the Duke’s vassal position like herself, so he must have recruited quite a few talented people during that time.

“All of them left me.”

“I beg your pardon?”

Karina was so flustered that she forgot her intention and shouted loudly. They left on their own. In other words, the duchy didn’t have enough monarch.

Whether true or false, those were words that wouldn’t come out of a Duke’s mouth. Fortunately, Claude was rude at first glance. He didn’t seem to care at all about Karina’s attitude that he might get caught up in.