chapter 38

“…!”

Andrea was so startled that she stretched out her arms and hit the table and her hands were covered with cream and jam.

As she frantically wiped her hands, Astrid muttered.

“It’s really hard. I can’t even eat properly…”

Karina nodded her head.

“It would have been really hard for me if I had to always follow etiquette like the princess.”

“But I still have to follow etiquette.”

Karina was genuinely confused.

Even though Claude was the Duke of Tors, he didn’t seem to follow the etiquette. Since the Duke doesn’t obey it, why should his younger sister, the princess, have to abide by it?

“Well, if this is an imperial banquet you have to keep it but… can’t you just eat comfortably now?”

Astrid shook her head slightly. It wasn’t as fierce as Karina’s, but a graceful gesture that shook very slightly.

“…Comfortably? I can’t eat comfortably. It’s not easy to eat.”

“Why?”

“That’s…”

Astrid couldn’t properly answer the simple question of ‘why’ and only licked her lips.

Andrea shouted as if it was amazing.

“Why do you ask something so obvious?” Because she’s the princess of Tors!”

“…”

Karina shrugged her shoulders.

“Right now, the princess isn’t following the etiquette and is drinking tea comfortably so it seems that the only one here who’s offended is the maid.”

Andrea seemed to be speechless.

In fact, Karina wanted to ask back why the Duke of Tors didn’t follow etiquette. But Karina was sensible enough to not bring it up in front of the Duke’s sister.

“Perfect etiquette is something to be proud of. But what’s the use if you’re struggling to keep the etiquette all day long?”

There was silence.

Andrea still looked at Karina and Astrid seemed to be thinking something.

Finally, her mouth opened.

“…I was in pain.”

“You looked uncomfortable from the beginning.”

Karina gently reminded her.

While she was eating pickled peaches, raw strawberry darts, and scones that melted in her mouth, Astrid brought in a finger sized castella and cut it down.

It wasn’t because she was full or the food didn’t suit her taste.

Karina was convinced that Astrid loved sweet food as much as she did. Astrid looked at Karina with an invincible disappointment every time she picked up a refreshment.

“Princess, please ignore her. You can’t listen to a commoner.”

Karina snorted.

“Isn’t it the same for commoners or princesses to be tired and struggling?”

“How dare you compare a princess to a commoner like you…”

Astrid looked up at Andrea.

“Andrea, don’t insult Mrs. Bloe.”