chapter42

Karina tried to pretend to be puzzled. Actually, she was a little dumbfounded.

‘His action is faster than I thought.’

She did her best to advise Claude, but she didn’t expect that he would immediately follow what she had said. It was only a few days ago that he knew Astrid.

On the other hand, Claude and Astrid’s relationship has steadily deteriorated over the past seven years. Karina isn’t a fool to believe that a few words can fix everything.

“The trade carriage is leaving for Edmoor soon, and he asked if there was anything I wanted.”

“Is there anything you would like to have?”

“When I told him I didn’t have one, he asked if there’s a craftsman I like living in Edmoor!”

Astrid continued eagerly with an energetic voice.

“Mrs. Bloe surely must have told him that. Right?”

Karina hesitated for a moment before answering.

“Well… seemed like it was. But if he said that because I told him, why do you thank me?”

Astrid’s eyes widened.

“Well, I’m happy enough just to hear that.”

She was out of breath. Astrid’s voice had a pure tone that reminded her of some old memories. Karina looked at Astrid with a smile.

A girl who was adopted by the Duke as a baby and lived her whole life surrounded by wealth and power that she could never imagine.

However, Astrid was delighted with the small attention shown by her only family to a third party. Karina fully understood her feelings.

‘When I was young… I was alone.’

When Karina was a child, she hung on to the attention and love of her mother, her only family. However, she never gave her a glance until the end and went away.

“So I came here to say thank you.”

“You don’t have to thank me for this, Miss Astrid.”

“I’m still grateful. You don’t like it?”

Astrid tilted her head in an earnest voice.

“Or… Are you uncomfortable?”

“No, I’m not.”

Karina smiled, trying to reassure the girl.

“I was just a little surprised because I didn’t think you would come to see me in person like this.”

“If Mrs. Bloe is uncomfortable, I won’t go into the annex.”

Before Karina could even open her mouth that she wasn’t uncomfortable, Astrid quickly continued.

“Andrea, show them the present.”

“Yes, Princess.”

Andrea walked a few steps forward with a sullen face. She had a large box in her hand that looked quite heavy.

“Open it.”

Astrid ordered. Karina paused for a moment and opened the box only when it was clear that it was an order directed to her.

“Ah…”

Exclamations flowed out of her mouth. The box was filled with all sorts of toys that would keep the children’s eyes occupied.

“These are the things I used to play with.”

“Are you borrowing it for us? Thank you. The kids will be having a fun time.”