chapter 15

Roland reacted furiously to Karina who has been gentle so far, but Karina wasn't surprised. If she was in Roland's situation, she would have done more than that.

"Melissa had a good time going to school by herself today. Why don't you keep an eye on Melissa for the time being?"

"Keep an eye on her?"

Roland blinked puzzled.

"Yeah."

Karina paused for a moment. She didn't quite know how to explain it properly.

"Roland can't always be by Melissa's side. One day, Melissa will grow up to be as big as me."

"Until then, I will always be by Melissa's side."

Roland said stubbornly.

Karina chewed her tongue. She was even more heartbroken because she knew enough why Roland was so stubborn.

"Roland, you don't have to... Is it because of Lord Lenque?"

Seeing he nodded his head, it seemed that the answer was correct.

Karina buried her face in her hands for a moment because she was at a loss. She couldn't think of a way to reassure Roland.

There was a reason why Karina was completely upset during that time.

'Lord Lenque doesn't know yet that Roland has what it takes to be the greatest wizard in history.'

In the gruesome laboratory, Karina was able to remember more relevant content and the exact lines of the novel she read in her previous life came to mind.

After a successful biopsy of Roland's blood and filled his body with cypheric mana inducer, Lord Lenque became completely convinced that Roland will become a world-changing wizard.

'If he hasn't found us in a few days, it means he has already searched for another game.'

It was heartbreaking to think of the children who would become new victims, but at least they were completely out of Lord Lenque's grasp.

But since it was impossible to explain all of this, Karina decided to convince Roland more simply.

"Why don't you teach Melissa magic?"

"What...?"

"Melissa wants to learn magic. You know that, right?"

Roland nodded instead of answering.

"Then, teach her the magic to protect herself. Something could go wrong so do it in front of me instead."

"I'm teaching her magic... Will Melissa like it?"

"I'm sure she'll be very happy."

Karina's guess was as right as ever.

The next morning, Melissa was so happy that she hugged Roland so hard that she almost broke a rib bone.

* * *

"Now."

Karina had to forget her face and try not to jump like a child in front of Wilder.

Today was the first payday of Karina's life, as she had never received a penny from Lord Lenque's mansion.

The salary envelope she received for the first time in her life contained a large amount of paper money.

"I put in a little more. Since you've been here for a while, you'll need more money."

"Thank you!"

"The sales have increased a little since the lady came, so I put in just half that amount. Don't expect too much."