Chapter Thirty Five: Set the Fire to the Third Bar

CHAPTER SONG: "Set the Fire to the Third Bar" by Snow Patrol

"You look so beautiful this morning, my beloved." Will murmured in Emmy's ear, his eyes softening as he gazed down at the girl in his arms. He was rewarded with the sight of her scarlet blush painting her cheeks and she nuzzled his warm neck to conceal her reddened face.

Joseph ran ahead up to the front door of his house with William carrying Emmy up the porch steps. The lieutenant opened the door to allow the both of them inside. As Will reached the final stair, Emmy spoke up before her corporal could step over the threshold.

"Will, stop!" She placed her hand on his cheek as he paused in his stride toward the door, glancing worriedly at the woman he held so preciously.

"Emmy, what's wrong? Are you in pain?" William's voice quickly asked as her fingertips stroked his jaw-line in a soothing manner.

"No...I mostly feel fine." She answered quickly, feeling both soldiers' eyes locked on her. "It's just...will you please put me down? I wanna walk into the house on my own. It's just a sprained ankle; I've had worse injuries. I don't want to be some needy burden being carried everywhere."

Will opened his mouth to argue with her, concerned about her placing weight upon her dainty foot, but he knew only Emmy sensed her limits when it came to her mobility and physical well-being. The lance corporal looked from the evergreen eyes of the woman he loved and into the vigilant blue-eyed gaze of Joe, who had listened intently to their dialogue. The raven haired man nodded to Will in silent agreement as he held onto the door to keep it open, as though the two men were having their own silent conversation.

Will and Joe broke their stare toward each other and looked again to Emmy, who had her arms around the corporal's neck. Sighing deeply in resignation, Will unwound his arm from underneath her knees, gently setting her back onto her feet as he kept his other arm in a firm grasp around her waist. Once he made sure she was balanced on the wooden surface of the porch, he lifted her hand to his lips and kissed her scarred fingers in a wordless gesture of agreement.

"Emmy, the sooner your ankle is on the mend, the sooner you'll be back on your feet, driving everyone mad." Joe playfully teased the spirited brunette girl, earning him an irritated smack from her on his forearm. "But if you show any further signs of pain, I'm carrying you all the way to the surgery myself if I have to, Emmanuelle Hunterson."

She rolled her eyes in mock annoyance. "Joseph Blake, when will you figure out that I'm not gonna do anything you tell me to?"

Will found himself chuckling at her words and the tone of stubborn fire in which she dictated her refusal to listen. He held her around the waist as she hobbled through the front door, keeping as much balance on her good foot as possible, leaning some of her weight on her corporal as he led her to the chaise in the parlor and Joseph carefully shut the door behind them.

He heard the sound of his mother bustling in the kitchen as Myrtle trotted into the living room, her curious whine alerting the two men and young woman of her presence. Joe patted Myrtle on the head as he went into the kitchen to see his mother and let her know of their new visitor.

As Will aided Emmy in settling down on the chaise, he looked up and saw the female canine, her chocolate brown fur shining and the ever growing roundness of her abdomen catching his immediate attention. A lump formed in his throat as Tom's words from an eternity ago echoed through his memory.

The both of them walking through their camp side by side as the younger soldier opened his letter from home, presumably from his mother and he had seen the smile brightening his face at the news written on the parchment.