Chapter Forty Three: Uninvited

CHAPTER SONG: "Uninvited" by Alanis Morissette

Emmy dreamt that night... her mind's only escape as her body lay sedated beside Erik.

She dreamt about what she really wanted to happen that night she had arrived back at her apartment.

Exhaustion threatened to make her collapse as she threw her luggage next to her bed and went to shower before unpacking.

Before she knew it, she was on the couch in her living room in her most comfortable pajamas as she stared in a blank trance at the flashing TV screen, not even following the plot of whatever sitcom she was watching.

The show transitioned to a commercial break and a sudden knock at the door made Emmy jump from her position on the sofa. The sound was a tired pounding against the wood of the door, like whoever was on the other side was at their wit's end for what they were looking for.

While she initially should have been scared, she stood up and made her way to see who it was, her sock-covered feet padding on the hardwood floor, her tangled hair sticking out in chaotic curls as she allowed it to air dry naturally.

Emmy grabbed the doorknob and turned it, not even bothering to look through the peephole to see who was waiting in the hallway.

In her heart she knew...

He had come for her.

The door creaked with a loud squeak as she opened the door and looked upon the unexpected visitor, a disbelieving smile gracing her lips as tears came to her eyes.

Lance Corporal William Schofield stood before her, handsome and tall as ever in his freshly pressed brown uniform and parade hat. His eyes of ocean misty blue beheld her like she was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen in his life. Even though she felt the complete opposite, jetlagged and messy in her sweatpants...

His deep, soft voice spoke her name with such gentle reverence that she knew his love for her never wavered as he had vowed to her whenever she had expressed doubt in his affection.

"Emmy..." He murmured to her, his large hand reaching out to her cheek. As though he had to touch her to confirm she was really there in the flesh before him.

Before his fingertips could stroke the curved warmth of her face, she reached up to his uniform collar and pulled him through the threshold, closing the door behind them both with her foot.

Will's tender gaze never left her face as both of his hands caressed her cheeks like her skin was textured of the most delicate blossom petals, his fingertips moving down to adoringly trace her jaw-line, his thumbs petting her chapped lips...

Emmy's own fingers played with the velvet cropped hair at his nape, standing on her tiptoes to accommodate her petite height against his towering, strong frame.

"Have I finally found you, my love?" His whispered tone of voice echoed in her ears as his forehead leaned down to touch her own, their noses brushing. The corporal's long fingers left her flushed face to stroke her drying ribbons of hair, relishing in the silken strands of chocolate threaded feminine beauty.

"Yes, I'm here, Will. I never wanna leave you again." Her voice lowered into a whisper, her arms wrapped around his neck, her fingers interlocking together. Her heart broke as she saw a pair of sparkling tears drip down his sculpted cheekbones and she wiped them away.

"A dream." He spoke in the same tender volume that made her fall in love with him. His patience and kindness toward her when she had needed it the most...