Chapter Twelve: Before I Cry

CHAPTER SONG: "Before I Cry" by Lady Gaga 

William Schofield was a man who had witnessed many horrors in the last few years, more so than any living human should see in their whole lifetime.

Just in the last twenty four hours, he had been swept up in too many emotions for his brain to comprehend.

The photograph he now held of this mysterious and wonderful woman that lay in her makeshift bed only served to contribute to his growing attachment to her. If he had difficulty believing before that she was from the future from their conversations previous, there was confirmation of it right in his hands.

A date written that had yet to happen and a photograph in blindingly gorgeous style... And it had appeared in his tin container as though he had always kept on his person.

While he had no doubt that Emmanuelle Hunterson was the woman with eternal possession of his heart and it was custom for soldiers to carry keepsakes of their beloveds close to them, Schofield knew that perhaps this was a sign that she would soon be able to return to her own era.

And if she did, would they ever see each other again?

He thought back to his dialogue with Thomas Blake, when they had been walking in the open fields and to the abandoned farmer's property. Just mere minutes before God had given him another reason to keep going in the form of his finding Emmy...

"I hated going home. When I knew I couldn't stay... When I knew I had to leave, and they might never see..."

He hadn't even been able to mention to his comrade exactly who he had been referring to when talking about his family.

And even when Blake had mentioned about his leave being cancelled when they were both due home soon, Schofield only merely shrugged him off.

"It's easier not to go back at all."

He truly missed his nieces and sister, but every time leaving them to pack up for the train to France left him more heartbroken.

But he had never felt more so than when he held Emmy as she sobbed in his arms about her childhood trauma with her father and her departing quarrel with her mother.

He never considered himself much of a hypocrite until he truly saw her express her desire for home. And the promise he made to her was slowly causing him to make a turnaround on that subject.

Seeing this picture of her only confirmed his final decision on keeping her safe...

He would ask her to come with him on his leave after she healed enough to travel. While he had every intention of figuring out a way to get her back to her own time, ensuring her protection was still his utmost priority when it came to Emmanuelle.

Yet, he couldn't ignore his bound duty to his battalion for the next few weeks until his relief...

A familiar male voice sounded outside as the Lance Corporal's ears perked up in alert. He glanced toward Emmy's sleeping form as she turned onto her side, groaning in certain discomfort in her sleep. Schofield breathed out a sigh as he quickly placed the photographs back into his tin and situated the container back into his tunic.

He listened closer to the approaching voice, recognizing it as that of Colonel MacKenzie, accompanied by that of Lt. Joseph Blake and Major Hepburn, the officer who had genuinely thanked him back in the cut-and-cover during the initial attack.

Schofield stood to attention, clearing his throat as he took a cautionary look back at the slumbering woman, a rare feeling of peace momentarily coursing through his body. She appeared to have calmed down into normal sleep, comforting him in the knowledge that she was getting the rest that was desperately needed and was beyond deserving for her.