Chapter Seven: Time Is Running Out

CHAPTER SONG: "Time Is Running Out" by Muse

Emmanuelle followed Schofield up the rickety wooden stairs that led back up to the burning civilization of Ecoust, his still bandaged hand grasping onto hers as though something from the shadows waited to snatch her away from him.

Emmy had the bayonet that detached from his rifle tied to her waist by a crude ribbon sash from her dress. She could feel Schofield glancing back at her every few seconds to see if she could handle it without trouble.

"Will, you don't have to keep checking on me like a nervous mother." Emmy chastised her Lance Corporal, knowing he meant well in a chivalrous way. "I'm from a different era where women can handle themselves without a man constantly at their side."

Schofield only stared at her face in response to her statement before giving a brisk nod in her direction. His eyes exposed his processing her words, but his stoic attitude would only drive her further into insanity.

Emmy could tell he was somewhat offended by her slight refusal of his protective tendency toward her and the guilt washed over her like a tidal wave.

She grabbed onto his uniform sleeve right as they reached the door, stopping the soldier in his tracks. Her hands grabbed onto his vest and she gently pushed him to lean on the closed door.

Schofield placed the rifle at his side, placing his much larger hands upon her shoulders before moving them to cradle her neck, his thumbs skimming along her jaw-line.

"Emmanuelle, hours ago you had almost drowned because I wasn't careful enough getting across that damn canal." He half-whispered to her, quietly seething with anxiety and irritation. "If you were to be harmed in any way, in my era or yours, I could never forgive myself."

Emmy reached up on her tiptoes, pressing her lips to his in a gratifying kiss. Schofield reciprocated her act of affection with as much if not more unbridled passion beyond what words could express. The temptation to take her back to that room below and show her everything he was feeling...

Their kiss broke apart as they caught their breaths, knowing they were only delaying the inevitable. They couldn't stay in this rundown shack of a building forever.

Schofield leaned down toward Emmy, pressing his forehead to hers, his good hand stroking her cheek with his fingertips. She had never felt more treasured than when this man was touching her. Her eyes closed in contentment; however misguided it was to feel something so strong for a man she had only known for such a short span of time.

"Blake was right. You really are my knight in shining armor." She chuckled, feeling Schofield's lips pull into a smile against her mouth as he kissed her again. "My champion..."

Schofield huffed out a choked breath, gulping to withdraw a growl of arousal. "Emmanuelle, I'm no hero. I'm only trying to do what's right."

The faint shouting in Germanic dialect caused them to pull away from each other, reminding the two of where they were and what was happening.

Schofield grabbed up the rifle again, his free hand holding Emmy's as she stood behind him. He turned to look at her, wanting to think of something to assure her that they would escape this nightmare of a labyrinth alive.

Not being a man of many words, he could only express his feelings with his actions; lifting up her hand to his lips and kissing her fingers with all the reverence of a knight swearing loyalty to a queen.

That action alone meant more to her than any proclamation he previously made to protect her, more so than the words they had said to each other in the basement.