Chapter Forty Nine: Kissing You

AN: One more chapter to go after this one, then a sequel to follow soon, titled "The Homecoming Bride"!

CHAPTER SONG: "Kissing You" by Des'ree

The snow falling in the air began to lessen as Joseph and William arrived to the Blake residence. Emmy leaned against the lieutenant's chest as one of his arms enfolded around her, his free hand holding onto Satine's reins as he commanded the mare to stop, the horse stable coming into view by the house.

Will hadn't been too far behind, having sprinted on foot; his worry for Emmy giving him the adrenaline to run through the empty village streets, at the same speed at which he had raced across that battlefield so many months ago...

He could still hear the explosions roaring in his ears...

The lance corporal came through the gate as Joseph dismounted the faithful equine, knowing she was trained to stand still as he reached up to help a weakened Emmy out of the saddle. He placed his hands on both sides of her waist, seeing her face was pale as the snowflakes around them, her eyelids half open.

Carefully, Joe situated her down off the horse and into his arms, holding her close as he heard Will's boots crunching on the ground with his walking in their direction. Emmy's arms were instantly around his neck again as though she was wanting for Joe to carry her inside. He lifted her up bridal style with little effort, the older man's storm-cloud eyes meeting the clear sky blue orbs of Will, the two men nodding silently to each other.

The lieutenant slightly adjusted the delicate woman in his arms to make sure his grip beneath her underweight body was secure, his hands ever so gentle as he tried to slow his accelerating heart. Love for Emmanuelle burning through every iota of his whole being...

His now emptied gun felt like a ten pound iron burden in his waistband.

Will took ahold of Satine's reins, leading the horse toward the stable so he could get her settled back into her stall and he gestured toward the house for Joe to take Emmy inside quickly. The horse herself sensed the anxiety within the humans around her and whinnied aloud as though to communicate that something was wrong.

Without another wasted moment, Joe walked with a steadfast pace through the front yard toward the house, listening to Will gently whisper to Satine as he calmed the ivory mare who no doubt was recipient to the younger soldier's calm disposition.

Joe felt a fond smile crawl on his lips as he regarded the corporal. He looked toward his home, seeing with relief that the front windows glowed with interior light from the parlor and grey smoke rising from the chimney. Molly and the girls were here, which he was grateful for...

He felt Emmy nuzzle her head against his shoulder as he carried her toward the house, sadness radiating in his veins at the sound of her moaning in her frailty. Thankfully, her eyes remained open, though only half lidded.

Her words to him were soft, tearful and apologetic. "I'm sorry I slapped you, Joseph. It was very wrong of me to do that after the pain you've been through."

Joseph sighed with a gruff vibration rumbling through his ribcage as he looked down into her regretful green eyes. He wanted to be angry at her... but he couldn't bring himself to retaliate such fury that she had displayed toward him. He was just grateful that she was here alive and warm and awake in his arms again...

And that she brought herself to own up to her actions. Proving once more another reason why he loved her.

And he wanted her to know that it didn't affect his feelings for her. "Dearest one... I understand why you did it. And you know I'd never want to see your fire extinguished."