Chapter Four: Never Let Me Go

CHAPTER SONG: "Never Let Me Go" by Florence & the Machine 

"Everybody needs to get out of the truck now! We need to push it out!" Emmanuelle shouted as she went around to the back of the truck, Schofield following close behind.

Both of them saw a handful of soldiers standing around in the grass, chatting to each other or smoking to wait out the delay in travel. The other half of them were still in the truck, just sitting and grumbling about being stuck again.

Emmy huffed out an irritated breath as the vehicle's back wheels continued to struggle in the soaking mud. She could sense Schofield's presence at her side, his observant eyes going between her and the group of bored restless men, wondering how she would regulate them in line.

Blake would be having a right laugh at what was happening, but not at the expense of the girl...

"All of you! Corporals, privates!" She continued to shout at the men, her voice a clear ringing bell amidst the deeper rumbles of masculine laughter. She kept her focus on the group in the truck. Some of them turned their heads and their eyes widened at the sound of a female voice and the sight of a woman clad in their captain's coat.

Schofield stepped forward as the men, both on the grass and in the truck, only stared with confusion at the notion of Emmanuelle acknowledging them in such an authoritative voice. He knew time was running out each minute this truck was trapped.

"Everyone, we need to come forward and push!" He demanded in a desperate tone as he went to the rear of the truck and began pushing. "Come on! Help me, please!"

His eyes met Emmy's, as if he were looking to her for guidance or perhaps inspiration...

Some of the men standing in the grass went to assist Schofield, who was yelling at the top of his lungs in the effort he was pushing his body with, no doubt further damaging his hands as well. His face was red and his teeth clenched together in using all the possible strength he had in his body.

When was the last time he had eaten or slept?

Emmanuelle stepped forward closer to the group of struggling men, rage coursing through her at the sight of some of the straggler soldiers still in the truck and adding extra weight inside.

Schofield and the others assisting him let go of the truck, still unsuccessful in their labors.

"All of you, in the truck! Get your asses out now!" Emmy shouted, not caring what words they may say or what they may try to do to intimidate her.

"Hey, you've got no business being here, girl!" One of them barked to her in protest.

"And you have no business being in the Army if you don't get off your backside and help get this damn truck out of the mud!" She retaliated back, her posture arched straight with confidence.

The sound of her voice aggressively pushing the men to aid them made adrenaline course through Schofield's body, gathering more drive to push the truck again. They locked eyes, an unspoken understanding between them that now was not the time to be worrying about who was ordering who around.

The remaining soldiers finally began filing out of the truck, dropping down and joining the others to give one final push. Schofield heard some of the soldiers mumbling choice words referencing Emmanuelle in not the most flattering way, but he kept the anger under control.

"Come on, everyone! We need to push!" Emmy joined Schofield's side at the back of the truck, the hem of her captain's coat and shoes caked in mud. She began pushing, knowing that her slight frame most likely wouldn't make much of a difference, but she needed to help in any way she could.