Chapter Thirty Nine: Bread and Roses

TRIGGER WARNING: This chapter contains mention of DA and miscarriage

AN: Lyrics are from the song "If I Can't Love Her (Reprise)" from Disney's Beauty and the Beast Broadway recording, written by Alan Menken and Tim Rice.

CHAPTER SONG: "Bread and Roses" by Judy Collins

"So, this isn't exactly an engagement ring...but a 'promise ring'? I don't believe I've heard of such a thing." Molly held up Emmy's scarred hand, her blue eyes focused on the metal circle wrapped around the American girl's tiny finger.

Emmy noticed how Molly's lovely brow wrinkled with sadness at the sight of her marked hand, forever branded by violence from her father.

"Yes...last night, Will asked me to share a vow with him. He swore to be faithful to me after we're parted when he leaves next week... and for us to always love each other and find one another again." Emmy gulped back a coming sob as she looked down at the tied chain woven on her hand, a smile forming on her lips. "I honestly don't think I'll be ready for something like marriage for a long time... me and Will only met barely a month ago, but I feel like I've known him my whole life."

"My dear Emmy, I know Will hasn't always had the most confident luck with girls. But I swear I've never seen him around any of them the way he is with you." Molly traced her fingertip over the string on Emmy's hand. "A love like yours is a rare one. You've brought him back to the way he was before he enlisted. Just the way he looked at you when he introduced us at the train station...before he even said your name, I knew you were the woman he described in his letters."

A warm blush colored Emmy's cheeks as Molly twirled her own wedding band around her ring finger as both women stood on the front porch and watched the playful scene before them.

Will, Cici and Elle ran about the yard, both little girls tackling the tall man to the ground in a lighthearted wrestle. They wore new dresses their uncle had bought for them in London that were already soiled from rolling around on the grass, the ribbons on their heads hanging loose from the children's hair.

Emmy's heart swelled at the sight of the man she loved playing with his darling nieces, his contented laugh echoing in the air. He crawled on all fours as the girls climbed onto his back like they were mounting a horse. Will suppressed a groan of discomfort as their slight weight sat upon the scars covering his back underneath his clothes.

The American woman opened her mouth to protest the girls roughhousing on him when Molly beat her to it. "Girls, your Uncle Will is getting tired. Enough playing; it's time for your homework before supper."

"But, Mummy..." Cici began to whine as she pulled Elle back onto the ground as they both slid off of him.

"Young lady, don't argue. Come along now." Molly walked toward the girls as Will stood up from the grass, stretching out his towering form. The stern, yet loving Englishwoman lifted up Cici into her arms as Will did the same with Elle, adult siblings carrying the girls into the house.

Cici pouted as she laid her head on Molly's shoulder and was taken inside. Will met Emmy's eyes as they stood on the porch and he softly smiled at her, which she returned. His hands were full with Elle, so Emmy settled with reaching up to place her hand upon his cheek, allowing him to feel the "promise ring" on her finger, the cool metal chain against his skin.

An exhausted Elle stirred against her uncle as she was adjusted in his arms and he rocked her ever so gently against his chest like she was his own child. He absentmindedly stroked her tangled hair as Emmy looked adoringly at the image of him holding his niece with such care.