Chapter Thirty Seven: Ashes

CHAPTER SONG: "Ashes" by Celine Dion (from the 'Deadpool 2' soundtrack)

AN: In the picture above is the actress Hayley Atwell, mostly known as Agent Peggy Carter in the Marvel Cinematic Universe; she's who I imagine would be Molly Schofield, Will's sister and the woman in the family pictures shown in his tobacco tin at the end of the 1917 film...

*A gender pronoun swap of Cathy Earnshaw's (in)famous speech from 'Wuthering Heights' by Emily Bronte, circa. 1847.

**The song "Lavender Blue, Dilly Dilly", lyrics by Larry Morey, composed by Eliot Daniel, most known from the 2015 'Cinderella' remake, based on a 17th century English folk song

*** The song "A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes" written for the 1950 animated Disney film 'Cinderella', written by Mack David, Al Hoffman and Jerry Livingston

Emmy was outside in the Blakes' tree orchard, turning around on the wooden swing, needing a minute to herself before she and Will departed back to Molly's house for the day. After burning the picture of her mysteriously inert body placed on display, a sickening hole of dread began to form in her gut, the feeling inside her sinking that she had acted on a rash and impulsive decision without thinking it through.

She stared up at all the floating ivory and magenta blossom petals slowly snowing upon the grass, taking deep breaths as she felt torn. The young woman had begun to feel overwhelmed with both Will and Joe expressing their worry for her safety and trying to steer her in the right direction, but she wanted to possess her own agency and make her own choices like she had back in 2020...

Both men's voices ringing in her ears and she just needed a moment to unwind and contemplate her situation.

Had she just made a mistake at the cost of her own life, one that could possibly lead to her own downfall, beyond what a man as horrible as Erik could do to her?

She twirled around on the wooden plank supporting her above the ground, the scenery in her vision spinning and whirling like she was in a cyclone...

Emmy wrestled with her thoughts as she tried to focus on the floral glory surrounding her, the twittering of birds over head suddenly being drowned by the roar of an aerial plane rumbling across the early afternoon sky above her. She ceased in her spinning motion abruptly at the plane's thunderous engine up in atmosphere...

A British plane from what she could remember seeing back in France...

Her life in jeopardy amidst the most deadly war in history; there was a cruel joke in there somewhere...

Come, Josephine, in my flying machine!

Going up, going up...

All she knew in her heart was that Will and Joe couldn't save her. Only she could save herself.

She looked up at the sound of Myrtle barking, the curious canine bounding up to her, long pink tongue hanging from her mouth as her dark eyes looked up at Emmy. The affectionate female dog whined as though she sensed the brunette woman's mood, laying her chestnut-furred head upon Emmy's knees as her fingers scratched Myrtle's ears.

A set of footsteps descending the back stairs made both woman and dog look up and see who had joined them.

William... her lovely, ever kind Will... had his eyes locked on her as their gazes connected. The shine of curious concern swam in the blue of his eyes as a small smile formed on his lips.

He remained silent as they refrained from speaking, having their own mental conversation, reminding one another how their dynamic was deepening by the minute without them needing to verbally communicate what they were thinking.