Chapter 3

Chapter 3: The Reaping part 2

For a second I thought I hadn't heard Theta properly. How could it be me? How could I be the one chosen? I had tried to prepare myself for this very moment but how can someone prepare themselves to be chosen for a televised fight to the death? I just stand there shell-shocked for a second until Laurel's loud sobs brought me back to reality.

All the kids in front of me have already turned their heads towards me and are staring at me with pity in their eyes like I am a lamb about to be slaughtered. They all clear a path for me as I make my way towards the stage, feeling like I am in a trance.

As I walk up onto the stage I take in what could be my last few glimpses of District 12. I look out toward the crowd to see everyone that I love breakdown. My mother has crumpled to the ground and my father is trying to comfort her but he seems to honestly not know what to do with himself. Laurel has her face in her hands, still sobbing and Luca is looking as if his whole world has just fallen down around him.

What if I never get to speak to any of them ever again?

"Now onto the boys" Theta says, strutting over to the next glass bowl and pulling out a slip of paper.

I barely register the next two words she says.

"Luca Edenthaw"

Theta says the words bright and bubbly but they hit hard me like the weight of the world crashing down on me. How could this be happening? I thought when I got reaped things couldn't get any worse but I was wrong. Luca will be competing against me in the Hunger games. Will I have to watch him die? Will he watch me die? Will he let me die?

My eyes drift over the crowd, where I see Luca walking up to the stage looking a pale shade of green. I feel the same. He steps up onto the stage, avoiding eye contact with me. All things considered I don't blame him. Once Luca is up on stage and standing next to me, but keeping his distance, Theta says:

"Congratulations to our brave new tributes from District 12. Let's have a round of applause for them"

In the corner of my eye, I see Luca raise three fingers to his lips. At first I have no idea what he is doing, then he points is three fingers out towards the crowd and I realize what he is doing – the three finger salute.

I decide to do the same and the reaction we get from the crowd is astonishing. One by one every person in the crowd raises their left hand and does the District 12 respect sign. A wave of respect washes over me and I'm grateful towards everyone in District 12.

We are allowed a few minutes to bid farewell to our families. How am I supposed to sum up everything I want to say to my family before I inevitably die? I have been pondering over this for quite some time sitting in one of the better rooms of the justice building. I stand up immediately when I see the door opening and the light come flooding in.

My father steps in and brings along the strong scent of coal mixed in with dust and wood. He must have been helping rebuild the houses in District 12 that badly need rebuilt. As for the coal, he's always carried the aroma since he used to work in the mines before his injury.

"I know you can win this. You're stronger than you think you are Willow" my father says with a firm fatherly love that almost drowns out the screaming inside my head.

"No there's so many of them and I..." I start but my father interrupts me.

"I wouldn't say it if I didn't truly believe in you. I know you will be the one coming home"  

There is a great conviction in his eyes that makes my want to believe him but the truth is I'm not sure I want to come home. I would have to live everyday knowing I am here instead of Luca. I would have to carry grief and guilt around with me all the time - what kind of life would that be?

I suppose that this is the time to say my final farewell to my father but I am supposed to say. I love you? He already knows that. You were a great father to me? Obviously he was a wonderful father to me. I try and say what I feel right now but no words come.

Finally I muster up "You have always been there for us and I am so grateful for that but you really have to keep it together for Laurel and mother's sake. You cannot breakdown no matter what"

"I know. I promise" my father says before pulling me into an embrace.

My mother, however was less calm about the situation. As soon as I open the door my mother pulls me into a hug immediately. Her face is wet with tears and I could tell she had been crying again or maybe she never stopped crying.

"Mother please stop crying, everything is going to be fine," I say desperately trying to reassure my mother, "Father was so adamant that I was going to win, it's hard not to believe him"

For a minute It felt as though our roles had been reversed: that I was the parent trying to reassure my daughter. In times of doubt, it was always my mother that was my unyielding ray of hope, my constant light that shone through all my shadows of doubt. Where was the strong, resilient woman I once knew?

"Yes your father's right, you're okay, you are going to be all right" my mother says, grabbing my shoulders.

My mother kisses my forehead before a peacekeeper comes in and tells us that time is up. My mother starts tearing up again as she walks out the door without a final goodbye.

Laurel walks in the room not long after my mother, with a strong determined look on her face.

"Do you believe you can win The Hunger Games" she asks me.

"I can try" I say because I didn't want to just say I thought I had no chance of winning.

"Please try, I couldn't bear to lose you, Willow" Laurel says, looking as if you was about to burst out crying again.

"Really? I thought you didn't like me" I say only half joking.

"Sometimes I don't" Laurel says, while I laugh at her brutal honesty.

"Laurel, I don't think I can kill anybody and I don't think I can watch anyone die, especially not Luca".      

"Look just try to win, okay. Here you forgot this" Laurel says handing me Mrs. Edenthaw's pin.

It was only a couple of hours ago that Luca gave me his mother's pin but it feels like an eternity ago.

"Thank you" I whisper

Laurel turns and walks out the door but not before saying

"See you soon".