Chapter 31

Chapter 31: The Finale

Alive one second. Gone the next. That's how Alexis died. It almost seemed insignificant in the grand scheme of things. I'm not going to die that way. Although it does have more appeal than dying at the hands of another tribute. Luca was right. We're all just nameless tributes. There is nothing special about any of us. Everyone is just an obstacle. Even Luca. But I know Luca. I don't know any of these tributes. Not really.

April, who was sitting on the Cornucopia slides off it and unsheathes her machete. No points for guessing she would be the first to make a move.

"Whatever happens. Do not leave my side" Luca warns.

"I wouldn't dream of it" I reply.

April commences skipping around the cornucopia. Then she holds up her machete and licks the blood off it. I think she is trying to scare us, but instead a boiling rage bubbles inside me. In April's mind, she'd already won. I'd love to see the look on her dying face when she realizes she has failed.

"Wait" Antonio says, putting his arms out. "We don't have to do this. We could put down our weapons. They can't make us kill each other".

They already have. Who does he think he is declaring a ceasefire? He is not above slaughtering another human being. None of us are. We wouldn't be here if we were.

Antonio puts his spiked mace on the ground and holds his hands up in the air. Cleo does the same. She smiles at her boyfriend with such pride it would've made the old Willow's heart lurch. But my new streak of apathy has caused me to feel nothing.

Antonio looks at me expectantly. Yes, good old Willow will lay down her arms. Good old Willow doesn't want anyone to be hurt. I extend my hand out as if drop it. Then I flick my wrist and the knife spins in Antonio's direction. The blade just misses him but he flinches.

"She tried to kill me" Antonio says.

"There's no bargaining with these people" Cleo exclaimed.

April's piercing laughter is droned out by rumbles of thunder.

"I was waiting for you to do that" April smirks. "I almost feel bad about what I'm about to do". 

April lunges at me and pins me down. Antonio holds Luca back. Luca desperately thrashes and kicks but it's no use. April has her strong grip on me. She plunges her machete into my shoulder and drags it across my collarbone. The initial stinging erupts into blinding pain. I can think of nothing else. My hand frantically hits the ground searching for the knife.

There is a loud bang and a flash of red light startles April. I use this to my advantage and smack April. She is thrown off balance and falls backwards. I crawl away as fast as I can.

Antonio and Cleo appear to have dragged Luca around the other side of the cornucopia. They probably thought they were being smart but they left my knife behind. I scramble to fetch it. April speeds after me and grabs my feet. I stab her in the hand, forcing her to let go. She doesn't attempt to pursue me again. She is too busy staring at her wound and screaming. April loves to inflict pain but can't handle her own. I laugh but it's a horrible screech I don't recognize.

Her pain can't be worse than mine. I can barely stand it's that excruciating. Blood is pouring down my chest - I don't have a lot of time. Another loud band rings in my ears and then another flash across the sky. I never saw it properly the first time but it's lightning. Lightning hitting the cornucopia.

I circle the Cornucopia. Then I see Luca. He runs towards me with a look of absolute horror on his face.

"Oh god. We have-we have to put pressure on the wound" he says.