Chapter 19

Chapter 19: Night Four in the Arena

Coral's screams echo in my ears. I stare at Eric's blood-soaked body sprawled across the undergrowth. I killed him. Right in front of his thirteen-year old sister. No wonder Coral is gaping at me as if I am a rabid animal.

 I'm almost too stunned to react, but I spot Coral looking skyward, trembling. What could be more horrifying than your brother's lifeless body just meters way. Then I see it. A silver eagle, with its wings outstretched, moving at a startling pace, almost eerily silent. A Capitol hovercraft.

The Capitol logo plastered across the base of the hovercraft is enough to send anyone into panic mode, but Coral just stands there. As if the hovercraft didn't bring back painful memories for her like it did for me.

"CORAL, WE HAVE RUN AWAY. COME ON. CORAL!" I scream.

Coral looks too dazed to respond, so I take her by the arm and drag her away. I killed the only person who was looking out for her in the games – Coral is my responsibility now.

 I run in the direction of what I hope is the Cornucopia, but instead trip over a large tree trunk blocking the pathway, sending us both sprawling. I groan and twist my head around to see Eric's limp body being airlifted into the Capitol hovercraft by giant metal claws.

I don't know how long Coral and I have been lying here. We're both still trying to soak up what I have just done. What the whole of Panem just witnessed me do. Purposely kill someone in front of their own sister, and probably his entire family – if they're still watching.

You had to, he would've killed you, I remind myself. No matter how many times I say it, it doesn't lift the heaviness of a guilty conscience.

A little voice in the back of my mind reminds me that I'm supposed to stop April from killing Luca but I know in my heart I would never get there in time even if I did know the way which I don't.

The rain has started to pour down. It came on so suddenly, I have no choice but to assume it was the work of the Gamemakers. 

"I guess we better head for the tent now. The rain is practically drowning us" I say, breaking the silence.

"You killed him" Coral whispered.

"I had no choice! He would've killed me! I'm sorry but-"

"Don't apologize, don't try to explain, just don't say anything." She shrieks.

I may not be her favourite person right now, but Coral seems to think I have a point about the rain because she makes her way to the tent. I follow her, and she doesn't stop me.

After what feels like hours of sipping Eric's leftover water, nibbling the fish he caught earlier and staying in complete silence, Coral finally says:

"You think I'm angry at you for killing my brother, I'm not. I hated him. I'm glad he's dead"

I give Coral an incredulous look. I dislike my sister at times but I would never wish death on her. The thought of losing Laurel makes me feel sick inside.

"You don't mean that!" I exclaim.

"Yes I do He was sick" she says looking disgusted.

"He was only doing those things to protect you" I say.

Now it's Coral's turn to give me a look of disbelief. I can't quite believe I'm sticking up for Eric myself.

"No he wasn't. He couldn't care less about me. The first time he was ever civil towards me was in front of the cameras. For the rest of my life he was absolutely horrible"

Coral looks like she is on the verge of tears. I try to say something comforting but that has never been my strong point.

"I'm sure he was just teasing you" I say.

Coral shakes her head.

"At first it was just teasing, but then it worse. Locking me in cupboards, dragging me across the floor by my hair, smacking me every chance he got"

I feel shell-shocked. I'm not sure how to reply. Nevertheless Coral continues:

"I think the worse one is the time he turned on my little sister. It was the first and only time I ever stood up to him. He smacked me so hard I fell into the river. He didn't even try to help, he just walked away!"

That is awful. Coral could've have drowned but of course being from District 4 she practically knows how to swim before she can even walk.

"Oh god, Coral. I don't know what to say. I had no idea he was like that."

"It wasn't just me. Eric bullied lots of other people too.  It was just the kind of person he was. I don't know what he would do to you if he hadn't found another use for you" Coral says, crying by this point.

I swallow the bile that is creeping up my throat and try to divert the conversation away from me. It's not about me, and never was.

"Why didn't you tell someone about Eric?" I ask.

"I told my parents that he was tormented me; they thought it was just the normal sibling rivalry. They sent Eric to his room and grounded him. It only made him worse." She looks down at her half eaten fish, and for the first time in my life, I'm not hungry.

"I knew Eric was bad, but I didn't think he was evil." Coral continues. "Well not until the games anyway. He was always a bully, but The Hunger Games changed him. He started to treat people as if they were disposable. He didn't care. I don't doubt he would've killed me if he had to"

After all the things Coral has told me about her brother, I starting to believe Eric was more than a messed up kid. He treated me as if I were a nuisance to him – a bug that needed to be trampled. I was a stranger, but treat his own sister like that.

"I'm sorry I'm rambling on a bit. It's just, I feel as though you're someone I can talk to. I've never had someone who I could call a friend, someone who would listen. It's nice."

I stay silent, unsure of how to answer. The one thing I promised myself was I wasn't going to do. Make an ally. Of course I can't forget she involved in Eric's plan, but I doubt Coral had much choice.

"You're either at lose for words or you don't know when to shut up" Coral laughs, and then her smile fades. "I'm scared Willow"

"We're all scared" I say softly.  

"I'm not talking about The Hunger Games. I'm talking about the truth being exposed. I just announced to my whole family that they have been living with a psychopath their whole lives. It's bound to be a shock" Coral looks as if she might start sobbing again. "I'm sorry, it's just... I'm only thirteen I shouldn't have had to deal with a near-death experience."

"No should have to at that age. I've been there myself" I respond.

"Well I doubt it was worse than drowning. That was the worse experience of my life. Well, apart from the Hunger Games"

We share mirthless laughter. It was either that or crying, which wouldn't do either of us any good.  

"It's kind of a long story...and I've never told it before" I say.

"I don't mind. It's the first time in my life that I felt like I had someone to talk to."

At that moment I never felt so grateful in all my life. I've always had friends and family around to support me. Coral felt as though she has no one. I tried to imagine my life like that; if I weren't close with my parents, or if I didn't have Luca. I can't imagine it; it's too painful, too empty - pointless even. If I am really the only person Coral has left, then I at least owe her my story.  

I begin to tell her the story of my worst experience, omitting some names and places in District 12 for the sake of the people at home. Almost as soon as I begin, the Capitol anthem blares out.  Coral and I peek our head out the tent just as Eric's headshot flashes across the sky. Then the light dies down and we are plunged into darkness. Luca and his allies are still alive, but so is April. How did that happen?