Chapter 6

Chapter 6: Meet the tributes

After the tributes parade, some lucky Capitol citizens, who have VIP passes, will have the opportunity to come backstage and meet all of us, the tributes.

Luca and I jump of the chariot to find everyone waiting for us. It's safe to say we have our fair share of fans. Everyone surrounds us wanting us to sign their handbags, jackets and almost everything else! I am grateful towards our wonderful stylists, who clearly have made us very popular with the Capitol.

Some of the other tributes are standing in the corner chatting away to one another, obviously not as popular with the crowd. I suddenly feel a pang of guilt for them. It's not their fault they don't have as brilliant stylists as Luca and I do.

I don't want to bond with any of the tributes. It would be hard enough to kill a stranger never mind someone you knew or even liked. I decide it's best to ignore any of the tributes who try to talk to me.

Almost as soon as I thought it, I feel something tugging at my dress. I turn around and find a little mermaid staring back at me. Her bright emerald eyes remind me so much of Luca's. Her copper-red hair has been braided and has small seashells woven into it.

"I think your dress is very pretty" says the mermaid from District 4.

"Not as pretty as your costume, Little Mermaid" I say, smiling.

So much for ignoring the other tributes.

"My name is Coral" she says, laughing.

"That's a lovely name" I say, as we walk towards the buffet set out for the VIP guests.

"I hate it" Coral says, scrunching her face up.

I try and find the chocolate truffles that I enjoyed so much on the train. No luck. Coral suggests I try the crab cakes, since they're her favorite. They look completely repulsive but I try them anyway. They were just as I expected them to be: Absolutely vile.

"My goodness, Willow. Is that all you do? Eat?" Theta exclaims from behind me.

Does it look like all I do is eat? I hardly ever eat. In fact, I'm lucky if I eat twice a day.

I'm about to say something but Coral answers for me.

"No Ms. Fairbanks. In the districts, we can barely keep ourselves alive. There isn't enough food to go around. All of you in the Capitol don't know how lucky you are. Maybe that's why the Districts despise the Capitol so much. Or maybe it's because the Capitol takes the children of the districts and forces them to kill one another"

I am shocked at Coral's bravery. And quite worried. No matter how much you hate the Capitol, you don't show them that. Although the Capitol may seem ferocious they're really just as fragile as the rest of us when it comes to confrontation. But if they were faced with a feisty young girl, who couldn't hold her tongue, they wouldn't hesitate for a second to have her executed. Even if that girl happened to be only thirteen years of age.

"Oh no need to be melodramatic, dear" Theta says to Coral.

I am filled with a sudden loathing for Theta. Coral wasn't being melodramatic - that's her life. Our lives. All of our lives apart from the precious Capitol. The Capitol. Where they never go hungry, never have to work a day in their lives, where they watch teenagers fight each other to the death and laugh about it. The sick, sadistic, evil Capitol.

I decide to take a walk to clear my head. Me ranting about the Capitol silently inside my head isn't going to do anybody any good.

I pass the golden tributes from District 1, who seem to have their own array of fans.

"Sorry ladies, Cleo is the only girl for me" says the boy from District 1, putting his arm around the female tribute who must be Cleo.

Their fans start squealing when they hear this, clearly delighted about the golden couple.

After signing several autographs, Cleo walks towards me, apparently wanting to meet me.

"Oh why couldn't I have had your stylists" Cleo sighs, "That dress would have looked so much better on me"

"Well I think your costume is wonderful" I lie, "It really made you stand out from the other tributes"

"Are you kidding?" she asks, looking bewildered, "I look ridiculous"

"Well at least you were unforgettable"

"Not as unforgettable as you" Cleo says, enviously, "You'll have all the boys from the Capitol lining up wanting to sponsor you"

I laugh because I don't know how else to respond. I look across the room and see Luca standing talking to the tributes from 5 and 2. They appear to be laughing at something Luca has said. It has always amazed me how Luca can get on well with just about anyone he meets.

"So what's the deal with you and him?" Cleo asks, curiously.

"We've been best friends for years" I explain.

"That's it?" Cleo says with an incredulous look on her face.

"That's it" I repeat, a little irritated.

Luca chooses that moment to walk over and introduce himself.

"Hey again, I see you've made some friends already" Luca says to me.

"You're not the only one round here who's capable of making new friends, Mr. Edenthaw" I say, laughing.

"Clearly" He says as he turns to Cleo "Hello I'm Luca, nice to you"

"I know who you are" Cleo says, giggling "We've only been talking about you for the last half hour"

I see the way Cleo looks at Luca and I don't like it, but I don't know why.

"Oh really because that's exactly what Luca has been doing about you, Willow"

Says the large boy from District 2, coming up from behind us and putting his hand on Luca's shoulder, like they had been best buddies for years.

"Looks like Antonio and I aren't the only couple in the Games," Cleo says, with that flirtatious smile of hers.

Luca looks away, obviously as embarrassed as I am. My face is burning up so much; I fear it might burst in to flames any minute now.

"Oh, you two are so cute. Mason and I were only joking" Cleo says, laughing.

Mason must be the tribute from District 2.

I now know the names of the people who I eventually might have to kill in the arena. Great.

That night, all I can think about are the tributes that I meet today. Coral with her bright emerald eyes and the seashells through her hair. Cleo and Antonio signing autographs for their adoring fans. Mason laughing with Luca. The other tributes meeting each other for the first time but acting like they've known each other all their life.

Today, the tributes were pleasant, nice and friendly to one another. I wonder how long that will last in the arena.