Chapter 22

Chapter 22: Day Eight-Twelve in the Arena

The Capitol audience must be growing more and more bored because there hasn't been a death in five days. The Gamemakers will surely liven things up soon – the first Hunger Games has to be a success. I don't know what they'll do exactly, maybe bring us altogether, maybe they'll send more grotesque creatures from the pits of hell to greet us. 

I shudder at the image of the District 11 girl's blank eyes staring back at me. That image will be permanently engrained on my mind forever.

As I wander around some more, I start to notice some changes in the trees – they are no longer lush green, the leaves have started to turn a golden brown colour. Maybe this is just a different part of the arena? Or maybe I'm imagining things. Strange things can happen when you haven't spoke to another person in a week.

It's strange how I haven't encountered another tribute in seven days, although I usually stick to the one area, my camp and the lake, the lake must be a popular destination, unless there's another source of water that isn't infested with poisonous snakes. I also expected someone to come across my camp sooner or later. Eric hid it well, but not that well.

My foot connects with solid ground and I know immediately that it's not the soft grass I've been walking on all day. No, I've stepped on rock hard sand. I must be near the Cornucopia. I reflect back on the first day of the Hunger Games; the sand was soft, was it not?

Sure enough, the giant golden cone comes into view and gleams in the sunlight. I tread carefully around the Cornucopia, remembering this is where April is supposedly hiding. Well not hiding, it's probably common knowledge. 

At first, it looks as though there is no one around, but then I see them. April and another girl who I don't recognize appear to be sitting at the mouth of the Cornucopia and having a friendly picnic.

The girl has tanned skin, a small round face, long dark wavy hair and is wearing a nervous expression. If it weren't for the deep gash underneath one of her crystal blue eyes, she would be considered pretty by even the Capitol's standards. That is after they pampered her up. I wonder why I can't place her.

April looks pretty much looks the same; short mousy hair, broad shoulders, the infamous shark grin, but what I don't recognize is this friendly composure she seems to have adopted.  

As I move closer, I discover that it may not be the friendly chat it first appeared to be.

"Of course our friendship can only be temporary." April grins. "Eventually I will have to kill you...I promise I'll make it quick bearing in mind what a good friend you've been to me. Or you could strike lucky and somehow kill me first. Who knows, maybe someone will murder me for you."  

April's ally looks terrified but lets out a light airy laugh.

I can't help but notice the delicious banquet they have prepared. Freshly baked bread, cakes with cherries on top, and an array of different coloured drinks to choose from. Most tributes would never dare to lay out their food so openly, but with April, it's like she's challenging the other tributes.

"Julietta, you will promise me that you won't kill me unless you absolutely have to." April says, although she doesn't look particularly worried. 

Julietta looks anxious, and she has the right to be. One false answer could land her a slit throat. No, it would be far worse than that. April would never allow her victims to be let off so easily. 

"I really hope it won't come to that" Julietta answers nervously. "I don't think I would have the guts to kill someone. I don't have it in me."

April laughs as it was the most ridiculous statement she's ever heard.