Chapter 29

Chapter 29: Day Nineteen in the Arena

Once we arrive at the Cornucopia, we find April is gone. Coral is there instead and she seems to have the same idea as us. She is raiding April's supplies and looks panicked when she sees us.

"We were never here and neither were you" Luca says.

"Why are you trying to bargain with her? She'll just betray us again" Alexis says.

"What are you talking about?" Coral says.

"You're lucky I don't have my throwing stars with me" Alexis growls.

"April's coming" Coral squeals.

"Stop the nonsense, Coral" I reply.

"No, April really is coming" Coral points.

Sure enough, April comes bounding through the trees. But she isn't running towards us. She's running away from a swarm of insects. The boy from District 5 soon follows. He sprints past us and climbs the Cornucopia.

"The insects are everywhere" Alexis screams.

"Everyone. Onto the Cornucopia" Luca orders.

Luca is first to mount the Cornucopia. I soon follow him, climbing up the golden horn so fast I lose my footing and slid down. Luca grabs my hand and pulls me up. Mason gives Alexis a lift up. Luca and I pull then grabs her hands and yank her onto the Cornucopia. She gives out a howl. Mason soon joins us and it's the six us one side and April on the other. The insects surround us, but don't pursue us.

"You're all here" April says with delight. "Winning the Hunger Games will be easier than I thought"

"Don't be so sure" the district 5 boy says.

"Come closer I can't hear you" April replies, beckoning.

The boy is shaking. He's too scared to move, too scared not to move.

"Alright then" April says, stepping forward.

She raises her machete and whacks the boy off the Cornucopia. He lands on the ground with a sickening thud. But no cannon boomed. The insects begin making an awful clicking sound. The insects look like crickets – except I don't think crickets feast on live flesh. A wave of nausea rolls over me.

"Anyone else want to be a hero" April asks. "Willow? Are we going to reenact the Jake incident? That was very sweet what you did for that boy. I don't care for kids too much"

"Shocking" I reply.

Everyone seems to be frozen – even Luca who has his axe with him. Coral is on her knees muttering something. She's praying I realize with a jolt of shock. April realizes it too and it deeply aggravates her. She pulls Coral forward, drives the machete into her neck and throws her off the Cornucopia.

The boom signifying Coral's death lights a spark of anger inside me. I pluck the axe out of Luca's hand and swing it hard in April's direction. The blade just misses April's head as she ducks out the way. The force of the swing causes me to lose my balance. Luca stops me from toppling over the edge, but I drop the axe.

April puts a hand over me mouth and a knife to my throat.

"Don't come any closer" April warns.

No one does. Luca looks terrified. The kind of terrified you get from hanging off a cliff. Beneath my fear I find myself almost relived in a way. I'd been dreading this moment the entire Hunger Games. Waiting for death is exhausting. I'm about to let April drag her sharp knife against my fragile throat when I picture my family watching my death at home. I can envision their expressions so clearly and they all match Luca's expression.

I know how my father must've felt in that mine collapse he was injured in. He must've thought he was a goner. He would've been thinking of us, of how devastated we would be. But also at least we would receive grain for a year. My death will bring no benefit to the family. But right now I'm not dead. I'm alive and plenty reasons to stay that way.

I whack the machete blade away and April is so shocked I fought back, she drops the machete. It doesn't roll off the Cornucopia, so April will easily retrieve it. Not before Alexis scrambles for it. Her hand is about to reach the handle of the blade when April steps on her hand. Alexis cries out and grabs April's ankle. April isn't floored but she does wobble. It gives Mason enough time to grab April's arms from behind. She struggles but Mason doesn't lose his grip.

Rain begins to fall. Heavy, clothes-soaking rain. Alexis grabs the machete and makes her way towards April. April breaks free with a growl and elbows Mason in the stomach. Mason staggers backwards and attempts to grab the tail of the Cornucopia. He can't hold on – it's too slippery. He slides off it and lands with a grunt. Alexis screams echo.

April lunges for me again but this time I'm ready. I swing my foot round and kick April. She slides across the Cornucopia, but doesn't fall. Her fingertips hang on. But not for long. I walk over and stand on her fingertips. When I let go, she'll fall and I'll leave her for the locusts.

But the locusts aren't moving. The rain has made them disintegrate.

"The rain killed the insects" I exclaim.

I take my foot away and April falls to ground. She lands on her feet, but the impact must've shattered her ankles. Or at least bruised them.

"We have to go. Now that she is distracted" Luca says.

We slid off the Cornucopia and run over to Alexis, who is crouched over Mason. He wasn't dead, but there was a stream of blood coming from his mouth.

"Mason, we have to go now" Alexis pleaded.

"I don't think he can get up" Luca said softly.

"Shut up" Alexis screamed.

"Luca's right. Mason would've wanted you to run" I say.

"I can abandon him, he's my family" Alexis protests.

"Go" Mason choked. "I'll distract April".

Mason rolled over with a groan and crawled in April's direction. Alexis let out a sob and ran in the other direction. Luca and I followed her. I barely register the canon boom. It's no louder than the ringing in my ears. My feet are heavy, my mind is foggy and I only have one coherent thought; Mason just gave up his life for us.