Chapter 27

Chapter 27: Night Sixteen/Day Seventeen in the Arena

High pitched screams tumble from my mouth. Jake lies dead on the ground, his head looks like it might spilt in half.

"HE WASN'T A THREAT. HE WASN'T A THREAT" I scream.

Luca stares at the boy. He looks stunned, as if he doesn't remember doing it.

""He came straight towards us. I couldn't see who it was. I didn't know him. We have to assume everyone outside our direct alliance is our enemy." Luca says, dropping his axe, before it drips anymore blood.

Luca makes the Hunger Games sound so simple. It is far from it.

"I guess so. After all we're all just trying to survive, but at what cost? Is it really worth living if it means you becoming a murderer?" I say.

Luca gives me a look reminds me of a wounded puppy. I wish he wouldn't.

"Willow, he was just another nameless tribute" Luca says dismissively. "Just another tribute less we have to kill I the future"

"I'm glad it's so easy for you" I say dryly. 

I pick up my blanket and am just about to lie down when I turn back to Luca and say:

"He wasn't a nameless tribute. His name was Jake and he probably had a family that loved him and prayed he would come back, as does everyone in this arena. Just try to remember that the next time you whack someone's head off."

I expect him to throw me his wounded puppy dog look as he always did when I scolded him. Instead I am met with stone cold anger. The kind that sends shivers down your spine.

I lie down on the cold soft grass and hope that sleep takes me soon because I can't face Luca right now.

"It wasn't like that when you killed Eric" Luca muttered.

He probably thought I didn't hear it. I heard it, oh I heard it.

The next day Luca and I barely speak to one another. Alexis and Mason must sense the tension. Mason tries to make the mood lighter.

"I don't know what was said last night but if looks could kill" Mason starts, then after seeing my glare says "I'd be dead on the ground."

"Mason, shut up a second." Alexis says while counting the food supplies. "I don't understand where all our food supplies are going. A few days ago we had way more than this"

"Wow, it's almost like we've been eating it" Mason answers.

"It's not just that" Alexis snaps. "I had six throwing stars at the start of the games and I only used one now I have three. Tell me how that works?"

"Maybe you just misplaced them" Luca suggests.

Jugging by the look on Alexis's face, you would've thought Luca accused her of some heinous crime.

"I don't just misplace things. Someone must've stolen it. Yes! Someone has stolen them." Alexis cries before pacing around in a circle.

"Alexis calm down. No one is stealing our stuff, Okay? We'll just have to hunt for more or get some from our sponsors" Luca says shaking her shoulders.

Alexis nods her head. "That was close" she says.

"Yeah you almost had a mental breakdown over a packet of food" Mason says.

"Mason!" Alexis growls.

Alexis and Mason starts laughing and I'm laughing too. For a moment I feel ridiculously happy, like I am with a group of friends. Then Luca, who was laughing, catches my eye and looks down at the ground and my stomach drops.