The Welcome Party

"Camilo, hurry up! They're coming!" Dolores called. She was waiting in front of his door, listening from the inside. She could hear Camilo's hurrying footfalls and what sounded like the ruffling of cloth.

"What are you doing in there?" she asked. At that moment, Camilo walked out, wearing the exact same clothes that he always did. Dolores didn't know what she expected. But then she saw something was different in his appearance. She grabbed the hem of his ruana and lifted it up. 

"Hey, hey, hey," he said, pulling it away from her. 

"Well, would you look at that?" Dolores said. "I don't think I've ever seen you match the buttons correctly on your shirt before."

"Jeez," Camilo said, dusting himself off. "Why do you insist on breathing down my neck all the time?"

Dolores didn't answer.

She was fighting hard to not tell him the truth about why she was feeling so anxious. From the moment she told him that Hanna had said his name, he was giddy with excitement. She just couldn't dampen his spirits now, especially not before what was supposed to be a fun occasion. But what would he think if she told him that the girl that he likes is supposedly being mistreated by her own father? And just how bad was it? Did Hanna need help? But then Dolores remembered what Isabela said. Handling their own family affairs was one thing but meddling with those of another family was a risky business. They needed more insight first. Isabela's plan for the elder sisters to start bonding seemed the most subtle thing to do. Dolores followed her brother downstairs to wait outside.

Camilo stood excitedly in front of the house with everyone. Antonio, who was nearby, looked at him and asked, "Are you gonna ask Hanna to dance?" Camilo looked down, wide-eyed at his little brother and his cheeks turned red.

"Um...maybe?" he said, ruffling his hair. "I don't know if she'll want to," he added.

But as he said this, he began to imagine himself doing the Salsa with her. He would give her a twirl with one hand, she would spin into his arms, and their bodies would be moving together in time to the music under the stars. Camilo suddenly felt hot under his ruana. His palms started to sweat so he very quickly wiped them on the legs of his trousers. After a few more minutes of waiting, Cal arrived with his wife and two daughters walking behind him. Amalia was wearing a yellow dress with her dark brown hair in a long French braid. Then finally, Camilo saw Hanna again. She was wearing a pale pink dress and white shoes. She had her golden-brown hair tied up in a high, elegant bun with two loose strands on each side of her face. All the light colors she wore really brought out the blue in her eyes. Hanna gave him a wide smile and waved at him. Camilo waved back at her. Amalia looked up to see to whom her sister was saying 'Hello'. When she saw Camilo, she put a hand up to her chin in thought. "Hmm," she said to herself.

"Thank you all for being here tonight," Alma said with her arms wide open. "Please, come in! Enjoy yourselves!"

"Thank you very much," Mrs. Engel said kindly, and they all walked inside the Casita.

Isabela then approached Amalia. "Hi," she said in a friendly voice. "I don't know if you remember, but I'm Isabela. Agustin's oldest daughter."

Amalia looked at the girl with the vibrantly colored dress and flowers in her hair in surprise and said, "Um...yeah...Hi. Nice to meet you."

Isabela took her arm in hers, and said, "Likewise. Come on! Let's talk! You know, I feel like we have so much in common being the oldest child in our families, don't you?" Isabela started to pull Amalia in a different direction from Hanna. Amalia looked back at her sister and said, "I guess."

Hanna gave her sister a sad smile. "Go. It's okay," she said. Amalia gave her what looked like an apologetic look and went off with Isabela.

Pepa then turned to Camilo and said, "Well don't just stand there! Be a gentleman and escort the lady inside!"