The Wind-up Doll

As Camilo, Hanna, and Luisa followed Isabela into the village, Dolores stayed behind in their Casita, in the corner of the balcony with Mirabel and Antonio watching her from nearby. She listened closely as the group was approaching the mural when she heard something else from the summer house. Something she just couldn't bring herself to ignore.

"Where is Amalia?" Cal asked. "She wasn't here when I woke up this morning and has been gone since!"

"She is probably still with Agustín's daughters," said Marie. "Isn't that right?"

"Yes, I am certain that she's with them. She's as safe as can be," said Agustín.

"I know she's safe!" said Cal, impatiently. "But she and I have work to do! To be ready for this festival that, might I remind you, Agustín, you insisted that she partake in!"

"Now hold on," Agustín said, a little defensively. "She was not forced into anything! Besides, it's still weeks away! I would think that she has plenty of time to enjoy herself just as much as you and the rest of your family."

"Cal, Amalia has only ever played music so beautifully," said Marie. "I'm sure she'll be magnificent even if she doesn't practice for one day."

"That is out of the question!" Cal said. "Amalia knows better than this! This isn't like her to just walk out of here and not let her family know where she is!"

Dolores then heard him pause.

"Wait a minute," said Cal. "Where is Johanna?"

"She's at my house," Agustín answered. "With...my daughter Mirabel."

"And how often has she been going there?" Cal asked, suspiciously. "She thinks she can just wander off whenever she wants and now Amalia is starting to do the same? Could this be her influence?"

"Cal, you know as much as I that Johanna wouldn't do a thing to upset you," Marie said.

"No?" Cal asked. "What about that time she gave me attitude? And she was shouting last night!"

"They were both shouting," said Marie.

"Right!" Cal exclaimed. "What was that? I never would've expected that from Amalia! That kind of behavior is beneath her!"

Another pause.

"You have a family member that can hear everything, right?" Cal asked. "She knows where Amalia is! I'm sure of it! Go ask her! Have your family use their magic to find her!"

Dolores's heart skipped a beat. She waited with bated breath as she grasped the railing.

"That is highly... unnecessary," Agustín said, slowly.

"Are you... trying to keep her away from me?" Cal asked.

"Of course not!" said Agustín. "I just think you should...give her a break. That's all. She will come back."

"That is not something for you to decide, Agustín," said Cal.

There was another pause. Dolores then heard approaching footsteps from where Cal and the others were.

"Abuela!" Agustín said in surprise.

Dolores waited for what would come next. Did Abuela hear what was going on? What was she going to say? But the next person she heard speaking was Cal.

"Alright!" he said, irritably. "One hour then. But she had better be back after it is up."

"Hmph," Dolores squeaked. All it took was for Abuela to walk by and Cal was suddenly more lenient?